Author Topic: Lets go back to WEB1.0? :)  (Read 18795 times)

ARray

• View Profile
Lets go back to WEB1.0? :)
« on: February 10, 2009, 05:23:42 pm »
First of all, OpenGoo is amazing software. It has drammaticaly great usability!
I found a lot of features which I've never seen before.  ;)

OpenGoo is cool as application. But it is poor as web-site.
I'll try to explain.
In one of our companies we use StreberPM.
It is open-source free wiki driven project management tool written in php5.
Every object in this system has it's own unique id. So every object (attached files, tasks, milestones, comments, users, etc) can be accessed using this id. For example: http://www.streber-pm.org/7489
So you can create new task. Then copy its URL to clipboard and send it to you colleague: "Hey, I've created new task for you man: http://www.streber-pm.org/7489"
Also you can use very smart WIKI-syntax. For example:
#7489 will be rendered as v0.09 released as stable
You can find many examples of wiki-syntax here:
http://www.streber-pm.org/index.php?go=search&search_query=WikiSyntax!

So you don't need to link objects like it does in OpenGoo, you just insert object link in your comment or task text: "Is it duplicated task: #7489???". It gets all power of hyper-text = power of WWW! And you can easy open task links in new browser's windows/tabs.

For example if you want to insert image in your comment   you can upload image in this task. After upload you'll see its ID at the right panel of web-page.
Then you just write you comment using wiki-syntax:
"Here it is screenshot: [[image:7518|maxsize=200]]"
See example: http://www.streber-pm.org/7517
It is extreme fast and usable!

PS. May be my reflections are very close with point 3 "Mobile device compatibility"  of this post:
http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=49.msg164#msg164

Karl

• ICQ Messenger - 464979879
    • View Profile
Re: Lets go back to WEB1.0? :)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 05:37:41 pm »
Hi ARray,

I agree with you. I was once referring to Streber http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=616.0 but nobody responded.

I think, Streber is a great tool like OpenGoo but nobody knows about it.

Hopefully the OpenGoo team will try to integrate some of the ideas of Streber.

BTW: WEB1.0 isn't bad basically  ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:40:33 pm by Karl »

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:23:47 pm »
Ha! And I thought you were going to mention the back-button issue! (Am I the only one that notices that??)  :P

Hi ARray, and welcome to the Gooey community!

I have a feeling that wiki-syntax is very useful and very enjoyable... for 10% of the population (I am sure there must be a survey on the subject). I myself love it. But the average user will never even want to learn it. Non-geeks like GUIs and WYSIWYGs.

@Karl: I did see your post, and gave Streber a quick test drive. I did not reply to it hoping someone else (if anyone) would. I do not like to publicly compare OpenGoo, unless I feel it absolutely necessary (ie: Someone makes an incorrect statement in a comparison). Though when I see a comparison, I must confess I get disappointed if we do not come out the best!  >:(

On a side: Overall, I liked Streber. I did not like its looks much; but enjoyed its architecture, responsiveness, and ajaxy speed.

@ARray again: I do not see the relation between your reflections (about Wiki syntax) and the "Mobile compatibility".
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:44:27 pm »
*I* don't want to deal with WIKI coding, and if I don't, the geek that I am, I know my clients won't want to wory about it.

Having an option to have a text link in a note to a document would be nice, yes... but don't make users learn wiki or other syntax.

Rob Portinga
Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.

Karl

• ICQ Messenger - 464979879
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 04:57:48 am »
... But the average user will never even want to learn it. Non-geeks like GUIs and WYSIWYGs.

You are absolutely right.

ARray

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 05:27:22 am »
2conrado:
IMHO: OpenGoo is perfect for office managers (non-geeks  :P ) but it is too slow for technical users.
I like time management as it was realized in OpenGoo (start work, add work for tasks).
I like the way how tasks are created.
But I don't like how systems objects links with each other. It is impossible (or hard) to write an article reach of hyper-links to other system objects (tasks, persons, events, uploaded files, images).
I don't want to find object in popup window any time I need to link it to other objects. I have this object opened in another window and I know its ID.  I'm a man and I have a memory. I just remember its ID. So I can write {#ID} in any message and that's all.

The problem is you can't get an external URL for any object. In Streber you can.
I think OpenGoo should be extended in that way.

2rportinga:
User shouldn't learn or even know about wiki-syntax while he don't need it.

PS. "I like what I know"
PPS. I just want OpenGoo will be usable for intensive work.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 10:19:08 am »
I agree that OpenGoo should be able to link to objects by URL. I mean, now you can do it. Each object has its own URL, but it has to load the whole page each time you access it, and it isn't a simple URL either (e.g.: the URL to access the task with id 1 would be: http://domain/index.php?c=task&a=view&id=1).

Allowing to link to objects from the content of a document is another feature I'm looking forward to. But besides having this easy URL for objects you would also need to be able to insert the URL by browsing the objects.

P.S.: I checked the StreberPM links but I didn't notice the ajaxy speed that Conrado mentions (i.e. it loaded the whole page each time I clicked a link)

ARray

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 02:40:45 am »
There are several ajax usages in StreberPM. For example you can double click on task text (or comment text) and it will be converted to textbox with save/cancel buttons.
Yeas whole page reloads in Streber but 90% of content on this page is needed for current opened object. By the way, there are many forums in the web. Most of them reloads whole page after message posting or before viewing some topic.
I think task management processes are very close with web-forum processes (topic creation, comments).

nsrivastava2

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 11:24:31 pm »
I perfectly agree with the statement - OpenGoo is perfect for office managers (non-geeks  Tongue ) but it is too slow for technical users.  ;D

It would be great to be able to link the objects in opengoo using wiki syntax. We can always have our Managers working on to link the objects just as it happens in OpenGoo today, but we as a developer will be using Wiki Syntax to link the objects.

C'mon managers already a pain...we want to have a system good for us too.  ;D

Arthur Mullard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 06:00:45 pm »
I'm non-too-geeky, but more geeky that most of the people that use our OpenGoo system! I don't want to learn code, and the other users won't learn. They'll just carry on using email!
So, def. agree OpenGoo should keep the code out.
However, for me, one of OpenGoo's greatest drawbacks is its speed (or lack of it).
So, here's a question from a user rather than a programmer...

Can we not have WYSIWYG & Friendly UI AND Speed?

nsrivastava2

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 09:52:29 pm »
One of the solutions to this problem is using Gzip compression with your Apache installation. This would Gzip all your Javascripts and download it on your local machine and then automatically Unzip it. This increases the speed substantially and reduces the bandwidth usage.

You can also use Gears for increasing the speed. I am trying to use the same but have not been successful in that. You know I am not too geeky  ;)

Please suggest if anyone is aware of any other way to speed up Open Goo Installation.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 10:53:53 am »
...using Gzip compression ... Apache installation ... Javascripts ... automatically Unzip ... increases ... substantially ... reduces ... bandwidth ...

Gears ...

You know I am not too geeky  ;)

Hahahaha! Brilliant!

Do you want to help me bring back my abandoned blog? ;D
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 10:55:35 am »
Can we not have WYSIWYG & Friendly UI AND Speed?

Yes you can. It only takes lots & lots & lots of work.  ::)

We are at it.  :D

Arthur Mullard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 02:13:11 pm »
Brilliant! Great news to know its possible and you're working on it.
Sorry I have no skills to offer to help make it happen :-(

kungfu71186

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 03:58:28 pm »
Web 1.0, who really wants that? You can always find ways around, but in the ultimate truth web 2.0 does save bandwidth and makes things look smoother due to ajax.

Now as far as links thats easy. If you have a link http://domain/index.php?c=task&a=view&id=1 and you are using apache on linux just create rewrite rules. Takes care of that problem easily.

So you have c=task then you have id=1
You could rewrite it so it would be domain.com/task/1
I could probably work on a rewrite script, but i would need some people to test it.