Author Topic: Joint Venture Projects: How to have multiple compannies working on tasks?  (Read 4255 times)

keyo

• View Profile
Firstly, I think OpenGoo is a great piece of software, the developers have done a great job!

There is just one thing I can't figure out how to do; have two or more companies working on a single workspace.

I can give a client company access to a workspace, and they can assign tasks to users of the owner company. I want to go a step further and be able to assign tasks to users of this other company.

The scenario is a joint venture. Two companies are working on the same project and I want to be able to assign tasks to the other company and have my other work spaces hidden.

The whole client/owner relationship really doesn't work here. The only way to be able to assign tasks to other companies (afaik) is to add the users from the other companies into one super company. Since this would allow them access to my other workspaces I'm forced to install a new instance of OpenGoo.

Is there a way to achieve this or should I just put in a feature request?

keyo

• View Profile
Re: Joint Venture Projects: How to have multiple compannies working on tasks?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:44:36 am »
By the way I am using the 1.2 Beta.

I though it was a little strange that in on the tasks tab I could filter by tasks assigned to various client companies (and client users). What I had to do was subscribe my client to the workspace to be able to assign the tasks out.

I'm not sure if this is really an issue or not. Part of it was me not understanding the system properly, but I also think it could be done in a way easier to use. Perhaps it could give the option to assign tasks to all companies/users and then give the option of subscribing the parties not yet subscribed or canceling the action.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
Re: Joint Venture Projects: How to have multiple compannies working on tasks?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 01:48:30 pm »
I would do it like this:

- Whole Project WS (Only you and your company staff has permissions to this WS)
    - SubWS for Vendor A subproject (You, your company staff, and Vendor A has permissions)
    - SubWS for Vendor B subproject (You, your company staff, and Vendor B has permissions)

Does that work?

(Note: You are right, permissions and groups management need to be improved).
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

zethris

• View Profile
    • Email
That does kind of work, if the other companies didn't need to actually interact with each other, but the collaboration was piecemeal from separate companies for the greater project (such as distribution of tasks to multiple outsource locations)

However, there is a need when company A (owner company) is working on a project together with company B and C and B and C also are working together as part of the project to complete.

For example, B and C are long time clients of A and also are clients of each other and would like to collaborate using part of the services company A offers.

Or another example, B and C are long time clients of A and a project comes up where B and C decide to merge into D resulting in B and C being dissolved and turned into company D as a continued client of company A (lets say they are a hosting company).

fcoauga

• www.augadaterra.org
    • View Profile
    • Auga da Terra
C and D need their WS too

and finally, for each joint venture, you need a new WS (named BCD?)  ;)
-----
Testing Opengoo:
 external server with PHP 5.1.6 & MySQL 5.0.45
 locally server with PHP 5.2.0 & MySQL 5.0.27
Viewed with Mozilla 3.0.1 & Opera 9.60