Author Topic: Roadmap 2009 needed, yes?  (Read 11484 times)

Code Smoker

• View Profile
Roadmap 2009 needed, yes?
« on: January 09, 2009, 10:23:23 pm »
The 2008 thread on goals is great (http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=49.0).  Can a 2009 goal list be created?  Set priorities to the 2008 list that were not finished and add new ideas from this forum.

Complete Email module, Wiki, Mobile Access, Forums, are among my favorites to see done.
Let's Goo!

David W.

Karl

• ICQ Messenger - 464979879
    • View Profile
Re: Roadmap 2009 needed, yes?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:11:20 am »
Yes, I would like to see a roadmap too.

:)

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:49:20 am »
We could publish a roadmap, but as you can see from the roadmap for 2008, we haven't followed it too much. Our priorities changed a lot during the year, and ended up implementing functionality that we hadn't planned.

It is true though that now OpenGoo is much more stable than on early 2008, and we have a much clearer idea of were we are headed, so we may post some vague roadmap for 2009, although it may still change a lot due to feedback from the community or some crazy ideas that pop up in our heads.

Karl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:48:00 am »
A roadmap must not carved in stone. I could be just a line of thought which can be altered anytimes. But I think a "line of thought" is better then nothing.

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:45:10 pm »
If nothing else it could serve the purpose of letting us users know what requests you guys are aware of and not aware of..
Rob Portinga
Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.

Karl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:21:06 pm »
If nothing else it could serve the purpose of letting us users know what requests you guys are aware of and not aware of..

I fully agree.

Code Smoker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 08:09:29 pm »
I could also be changed based on the reasons you mention.  Just change it and make a note that it changed and why if you want.

David
Let's Goo!

David W.

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 03:04:43 pm »
Over in the dropbox forums, they just occasionally post a message that lists what they have coming up in the near term, mid-term, and long-term... and things have shifted.

so maybe it's just as simple as that, a list of what you guys have in mind, and maybe try to commit to updating say.. once or twice a month?

Then say there's a feature you have listed as long-term that gets a lot of favorable feedback, you can review it and see if you want to bump it up on the priority list.
Rob Portinga
Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.

Jim Rising

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 12:22:36 am »
we're looking at starting development of some of our own feature needs within OpenGoo ... and so having a legitimate roadmap would be very handy so that we know what stuff we should spend the time contributing and what stuff we should wait for your team to handle.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 03:13:01 pm »
We usually do not know what is going to make it into the next version up until the very same day we start working on it (and many times not even then).

We have an overall idea and vision for which we try to share as much as possible here at the forum, and on the blog.

Hopefully that will start changing soon, and OpenGoo will start getting more predictable. But again, this is something we have been saying for quite some time.

Anyway, @Jim: We are always looking for contributions, and we strive to have everyone joining the efforts get the best welcome.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

Jim Rising

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 06:44:47 pm »
as we add features on our side, what is the best way to:

a) contrib
b) avoid conflicts from code updates from your side?

cguyer

• MSN Messenger - colby_guyer@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - excag03
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - excag18
    • View Profile
    • TIU11
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 03:32:23 pm »
a yearly roadmap is not feasible but a monthly one would definitely be great about what your working on, what you think you may work on next, whats being sponsored and how others can get involved in it.

technomensch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 03:18:06 pm »
Couple of recommendations/thoughts on the roadmap thought process:

1) The Features and Ideas are quickly getting out of hand to track and duplicates are bound to creep up.  I would recommend moving the feature requests onto a platform such as "http://getsatisfaction.com/".  I first learned about them with the Songbird project and it's a quick/clean/efficient way to track suggestions with the ability to vote features up or down so you'll know where users want the most.  This should probably be done before this gets too out of hand.

2) The idea for a bounty was proposed earlier in a different post.  At another open-source project I follow, and have mentioned here, (Funambol), they have a code-sniper project where bounties can be offered for the completion of certain portions of the project.  This can be a separate, side section.

3) Once priorities can be established, then a clear direction for a roadmap can be established.  By not having a roadmap, users will constantly be bugging this project for their improvements to be implements, and their frustration/impatience may bring them to move off this fantastic platform, rather than give it the support it deserves.  Plus, having a roadmap will also give those who want to contribute a better sense of what is currently being worked on, and where they can offer their assistance. 

Of course, doing something like that would require to start opening up the code more and moving to a branch/tree-like structure where there would be more people involved.  BUT, it would greatly improve/enhance performance and functionality.

Anyway, those are my two cents.

I know that I've communicated with the admins via email previously and would be happy to offer my assistance in Project Management in any way that I can.

Marc K.

JedMeister

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 04:09:03 am »
I think it would be great to have some sort of roadmap for opengoo. The idea of feature requests that could be voted up or down is a fantastic one!

Bigal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 04:32:27 pm »
I think it would be great to have some sort of roadmap for opengoo. The idea of feature requests that could be voted up or down is a fantastic one!
Yes, seconded. After all OG is designed for project management, so it seems funny that development happens in a haphazard manner when the project being worked on is not meant to be haphazard!
As a developer myself, its annoying to be told by others what I should be doing, but it certainly does not hurt to listen, and if in being proactive, duplicate threads of development are avoided then thats all good. Jedmeister and others suggestions here make sense.
Al.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 04:38:13 pm by Bigal »