Author Topic: What is OpenGoo?  (Read 15011 times)

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
What is OpenGoo?
« on: June 24, 2008, 02:53:30 am »
After all this time (Wow, it's only been a year?!) when confronted with the simple question: "What is OpenGoo?" I still find it hard to give a simple, straightforward answer.

Why is that?

First, we started by calling it a 'Web Office'. I even contributed a lot to the definition of the term in Wikipedia, which was later moved to 'Online Office', clear sign that the moderator I argued with was right, it was, and still is, a neologism. But Online Office doesn't sound cool, right?

Then I came across the tags people used for OpenGoo at del.icio.us, and the tag cloud clearly shows that most people would rather call it 'Groupware'. Now, to me, 'Groupware' sounds old. It reminds me of eGroupWare (which I admire, but feel it a bit too Web 1.0), and Wikipedia redirects 'Groupware' to the 'Collaborative software'. Besides, OpenGoo is a great tool for individuals too, not just groups. For instance, it has many of the features of Apple's new 'mobile me.

So how would you define OpenGoo?
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
Re: What is OpenGoo?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:38:27 pm »
Given the options you mentioned, I think collaborative software describes us best. However, I liked the term web office, and if things are done correctly, OpenGoo can become a synonym of web office. Don't you think so?

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:50:45 pm »
At least a synonym of "Open Source WebOffice".

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 03:18:37 pm »
Indeed cabeza, we are working hard at it.  ;)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

haveabyte

• #1 in Hosted Service Management Solutions.
    • View Profile
    • HaveAByte.com - #1 in Hosted Service Management
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 01:39:30 pm »
I found your comment very funny.  I worked for a company for nearly 10 years and we spent that entire time constantly rewriting the answer to "What Is [our product]" which was a specialized raster imaging converter for printing.  It's something that needs constant refinement based on the market and terminology of the day.

I thought that OpenGoo was kinda-sorta similar to SharePoint, which has this description on their website:

"Office SharePoint Server 2007 is an integrated suite of server capabilities that can help improve organizational effectiveness by providing comprehensive content management and enterprise search, accelerating shared business processes, and facilitating information-sharing across boundaries for better business insight."

What a mouthful.  :P

So how about:

"OpenGoo is an open-source, PHP web office and group productivity browser-based application.  Naturally cross-platform with elements of CRM, document management, and project management, OpenGoo is the premiere choice for anyone seeking to move their office into the cloud to facilitate collaborative document workflow."

I'm not terribly good at this.  :D

Erik
http:/haveabyte.com