Author Topic: Rocketscience xD  (Read 6713 times)

martino87r

• View Profile
    • Email
Rocketscience xD
« on: December 07, 2008, 04:42:25 pm »
I don't know much about this great group-ware (as structure), but i still have few ideas to make it more "standard"  ??? compliant... Actually as i wrote in the new member section, I'm a Solution Architect (Junior), so i have a good knowledge about IT standards...

I found this great software when i was searching for an alternative to MS Exchange, cause im really annoyed of the MS policies  >:( ok let me cut of those comments  :-X...
So.. the Exchange actually is a structured assembly of different standards (LDAP, Kerberos, DNS etc.), and it's highly integrated and dependant on MS Operating System and Software (bad bad bad...).
I was looking for years to a valid alternative to such system without any interesting result, but... i found Open-Exchange and i was surprised of the result (very good) but when i saw the price... well it's better to use MS Server instead..."Personal Comment..."

Right now i see that OGoo is using PHP with only MySQL to manage all the data (and it's good when you don't need advanced features that can modify the Guest OS), it will be good to have more advanced features, like use of LDAP to Access Contacts -http://directory.apache.org/ and extensive support to Kerberos for Auth... So the user management can be easy integrated with existing *NIX systems and of course support for in-place SMTP mail can be added (Postfix or Sendmail). After this, the software can use the webinterface or a plugin for Thunderbird (i think it will be supported from most of the comunity). I know that this is rocketscience..but this architecture will be the first real project to create a valid alternative to commercial solutions.

Comments are welcome  ;D

soomon

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rocketscience xD
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 05:49:16 pm »
the biggest problem will be to get enough ppl working on this...
i guess the developer love to add LOTS of more features, but i'm not sure they have the time to make all of these features.
so if you write all the code needed for this features i am sure they will be very happy  ;D

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 06:27:35 pm »
Definitely features we would love to add. LDAP support has been requested several times, and we always said we would love to add it.

Soomon, you are right in that the main constraint is developer's count.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

martino87r

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 07:18:05 pm »
Maybe this step is larger then my leg.. But i'll try to design a schema to implement ApacheDirectory into OGoo.
I'll write extensive documentation on how to insert LDAP into the existing project.
Actually i cannot cover the programming part (im not so expert in PHP)... but i think with class diagrams and documentation it will be much easier to write the necessary code.

Any help will be appreciated