Author Topic: Objects and Workspace best practices  (Read 2550 times)

plan_b

• View Profile
Objects and Workspace best practices
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:26:06 pm »
At first I was getting a little confused with FO, but I am finding it VERY powerful.

The more I play (and break) with it, the more I am learning. I am now almost to the point to go live (LOT more to do, but I think I can work my way through it) but I trying to come up with a 'model' that I would like to use to deal with objects. As I could think if one was to have many employee's (by full time and contractors) and clients, handling LOTS of objects could be a pain over time.

The best way for me to explain is through an example:
Lets say I just hired some one (contractor that I might want to bring on full time, but only for temp/trial bases) but I don't want to give them all of the objects (Notes, Documents, Tasks etc) at one time. Now lets say that after this given time I no long wish to use them and there account is deleted. But I don't want to loose those objects.

What would be a good practice on handling objects in this manner? Creating a workspace JUST for these objects, and assign them to users when needed? I suppose one could also have a few parent workspaces that they could be assigned over time. And then moved up higher in the workspace chain for that workspace.

And above would also apply to companies/clients.

Hope that wasn't too confusing, as I am still trying to work it out myself. So any ideas and practices any of you use would be great to hear. I can really see the possibilities of OF and I just want to look down the road how to be able to use it in an effective manner.

Thanks and looking forward to any replies.

plan_b

• View Profile
Re: Objects and Workspace best practices
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 05:33:33 pm »
Sorry... I should of put this in my OP, but was hoping maybe the Site Admin/Mods could give an example how you guys handle (pic would be GREAT) your workspace directory tree, dealing with website dev and maintenance (as this is what I plan on using FO for)

How do you handle the following dept. (tasks?) Like Content, Design (Graphics), Coding and Site Maintenance (did I forget any thing  :P). I know that might be a tall order, but any info I can gather will only be to help me (and maybe others) and not have to rethink the wheel. As, you guys (the creators) are using a model that is working for you (and is proven).

thanks again.

supadoctor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 11:18:19 am »
It's only your decision how to handle workspaces...
You can arrange it with linking to your customers, your teams/staff, your projects etc. It's very flexible and there is no single solution.

As for me I use workspaces like projects. Within workspace I create milestones, tasks, assign them to my staff... You know, these standard things...

plan_b

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 03:33:21 pm »
It's only your decision how to handle workspaces...
You can arrange it with linking to your customers, your teams/staff, your projects etc. It's very flexible and there is no single solution.

As for me I use workspaces like projects. Within workspace I create milestones, tasks, assign them to my staff... You know, these standard things...

Thanks for your reply, yeah I see that it is flexible, but having never used such software before, I thought I would as so I don't set it up one way... only to find out by trial and error, it may of been better to do it this way.

Any others? don't remember if I said any thing in OP... but will be for a web dev company/site.

icfw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 06:25:40 pm »
Fort the sake of staying organized, I highly suggest creating groups in the administrative panel, assigning workspaces and permission rights to each group accordingly, and then assign users to individual groups.

This will help you out in the long run. We are a small magazine corporation and we have been using the feng office for over a year now. It is a really good collaboration tool.

Thanks.
.Mirsad