Author Topic: Spreadsheets  (Read 5220 times)

thibautds

• View Profile
Spreadsheets
« on: April 04, 2009, 04:20:59 pm »
Are Spreadsheets in the next version available?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 04:22:42 pm by thibautds »

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: Spreadsheets
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 02:19:20 pm »
Maybe spreadsheets will be available on 1.4 final, but I'm more inclined to think it will be available on 1.5 or at most 1.6.

thibautds

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:12:50 pm »
Why it takes so much time?
And I have another question: When will it possible to open .ppt documents on opengoo?

thanks
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:13:26 am by thibautds »

Capitan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:58:07 pm »
Hey, it's free software... be patient:)

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 03:39:54 pm »
Spreadsheet module is currently being developed by a team of three students. The project is of the same nature as the one that got OpenGoo started (It is their final project for earning a Computer Engineering degree at UdelaR [Spanish link]).

As such, it is not directly managed by Feng Office. This means that few promises can be made (even less than what we usually make).

We are hoping that Fernando, Pepe and Perico produce a great app and also that they get the highest score with their project (Something that UdelaR traditionally makes very hard to achieve). It is up to them, though they have our full support and cheers.

Spreadsheets are hard. Online spreadsheets are harder. I do not know how much time and money Microsoft put to produce Excel (the current leader in Spreadsheet editors market share  ::) ). We could probably do an estimate, but it is probably well over ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS! (kind of quoting Mike Myers :P ).

Of course we are constantly seeking ways for funding to speed development.

The new services offering at the home page are one first approach we are trying. Spreadsheets are hard to put in features to sponsor because the magnitude of the project is just too big, and hard to measure. It should become easier when we have a first beta, because then improvements could be made in small steps.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

Markus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:32:57 am »
So ... how is their work going, did they succeed? Have you got, what you expected? Give just a little bit of hope to the community on this issue.

Thanks markus

Murz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 01:36:16 pm »
Maybe will be better to use already created spreadsheets editors instead of creating new one?
I think that integrate some javascript editor it not so hard work, it can be done like with ckeditor.

For example, we can try this:
http://visop-dev.com/lib/jquery/jquery.sheet/jquery.sheet.html
http://zssdemo.zkoss.org/

And you can store spreadsheets as xml documents in FengOffice, like the ckeditor results.

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 05:58:56 pm »
Feng Office spreadsheets have not been finished yet, so they still are in alpha version. Should you want to try them out, I am sure you will find some information here in forums on how to do it.

Best regards,
Francisco
Would you like to install Feng Office Professional or Enterprise Edition in your servers? No problem! Read this article!

Murz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 01:34:01 pm »
franponce87, can you give us the link or manual how to try spreadsheets alpha version? I want to test it and hope can help with it testing and development.