Author Topic: 2008 - Ideas for the future of OpenGoo  (Read 28738 times)

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
2008 - Ideas for the future of OpenGoo
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:31:04 pm »
1.   Document templates – We Would like OpenGoo to include document templates. The functionality would be similar to the one you can find in most office suites (such as Microsoft Office and Open Office). It is our aim to include templates for text documents such as budgets letters, curriculums, memos, thesis, reports, etc. Moreover, we are also looking for templates for our S5 presentations (with different visual styles). This task implies developing template support from scratch and researching for a free source of compatible templates.  This task is suitable for developers with knowledge on PHP, MySQL and Html. Javascript, CSS and S5 are not required but could be a good complement.

2.   Data import and export – We would like to provide a feature that provides the ability to export all the data you have within a project in OpenGoo. This data will be easily imported into another OpenGoo installation. This would mean that you can change your OpenGoo provider very easily. This task is suitable for developers with PHP and MySql experience

3.   Mobile device compatibility – We would like mobile devices to have a special interface for OpenGoo. Mobile devices usually have special requirements regarding screen size, bandwidth and processor speed so lots of work is needed in order to adapt the current interface to make it suitable for cell phones and PDAs. We are open regarding which mobile platform we should start with. This task is suitable for mobile developers with PHP knowledge.

4.   Document import and export – Currently our text processor only supports Html format. It is within our roadmap to be able to read and write (import and export) the most important formats such as doc, odt, rtf and pdf (write only). This task is suitable for developers with experience in doc, odt, rtf or pdf formats.

5.   Microsoft Office Plug-in – A plug-in that is similar to the one Microsoft Office Live Workspaces provides must be developed. It will enable the possibility to open and save documents in OpenGoo within Microsoft Office’s applications. Microsoft Office plug-ins knowledge is required.

6.   Forum integration – OpenGoo should include a forum for users to exchange ideas within a company. The task would be to adapt a popular forum engine in order to make it part of the OpenGoo solution. Integration must be transparent, this means users database should be shared, and the look and feel should also be similar among other details. This task is suitable for PHP and MySQL developers. Work with forums and application integration would be valuable.

7.   Blog integration – OpenGoo should include a blog for users to post ideas within a company. The task would be to adapt a popular blog engine in order to make it part of the OpenGoo solution. Integration must be transparent, this means users database should be shared, and the look and feel should also be similar among other details. This task is suitable for PHP and MySQL developers. Work with blogs and application integration would be valuable.

8.   Wiki integration – OpenGoo should include a wiki for users to post ideas within a company. The task would be to adapt a popular wiki engine in order to make it part of the OpenGoo solution. Integration must be transparent, this means users database should be shared, and the look and feel should also be similar among other details. This task is suitable for PHP and MySQL developers. Work with wiki and application integration would be valuable.

9.   Webmail integration – We feel our Web office won’t be complete until we include an email client. Integration with an open source email client is another important milestone in which we would like the community to help us. As in previous tasks, our goal is to make the integration transparent, so user database must be shared, look and feel must be similar and mails that arrive must be available throughout the rest of the system. This task is suitable for PHP and MySQL developers. Work with mail clients and application integration would be valuable.

10.   Live communication – Once everyone in a company has access to OpenGoo, it seems like an excellent way to establish live communications between users. Chat is the first idea that comes into our minds, but we could mention audio, video and even other collaboration tools (such as whiteboards) could be very useful to complement this service. This task is suitable for PHP and MySQL developers. Work with different communication mechanisms (chat, audio, and video) and application integration would be valuable.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 04:23:55 pm by conrado »
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

adam

• View Profile
Re: 2008 - Ideas for the future of OpenGoo
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:50:52 pm »
Excellent software... I've just installed it as an experiment for an organisation I work with as webmaster.

Some things I would like to see would be skype integration, maybe task/project display as a gant chart and ... damn, there was something else... it will come back to me... but I work a lot with not for profit charities, voluntary and campaigning organisations and there are aspects of this tool that I can see growing into a mature office suite for such organisations. I have some significant PHP and mysql experience, so if life quietens down for me, I will be offering my services :-)

adam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 01:42:20 pm »
That was the other idea... some years ago, my father wrote a collaborative ideas development and management application in Delphi which he marketed out to some large companies, based in part on some of the ideas of Dr de Bono. Might there be some room for such a package in openGoo?

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 03:36:01 pm »
Nice ideas, adam!

A couple of questions:

1) How do you imagine the skype integration?

2) What exactly do you mean by "a collaborative ideas development and management application"? What would that application do? What would be a typical use case?

The gant chart is surely a desirable feature for OpenGoo. It's not on the short term roadmap but it will be there at some point. Are you interested in developing that part?

See you around

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:05:44 pm »
Hello Adam.

Thank you for your contribution!

On the Skype integration, maybe what Skype already provides could suit you needs? It installs a plugin in both Firefox and IExplorer that picks phone numbers and lets you call right away.

I think I once saw a way of taging a skype name that skype also picked up, but I can't remember the details (and I have a cold so I will not do the research today, and maybe somebody else did it recently...)

Maybe OpenGoo can tag skype names that way and display it on the contact info.

One bad news is that when I coincidentally intended to try this plugin on my Firefox (on Vista) last week, it didn't work. And IExplorer still has some issues with OpenGoo. ;-)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
On Adam's second idea
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 09:08:02 pm »
I am with Ignacio here: I am not sure I get the idea.

Any references?

sirichai

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 03:37:40 am »
I would like to see below:

- OpenGoo will be provided data backup/restore from server to PC client (via browser interface or ftp client). This is more important for our user will take more time to input some data on the server.

-OpenGoo will be provided a group of application such as resources reservation. (keep track who is reserve the meeting room , who want to borrow LCD projector.)

-OpenGoo will be provided localize language module to let each administrator to modify some menu label as it need. (to make it easy understand in difference working environment.

I welcome to be a tester of localize language in Thai language.

Thanks to see above soon.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 02:34:09 pm »
Hi Sirichai.

The three are excellent ideas, and I can definitely see all three being implemented in OpenGoo, though I can't promise any date.

Right now we are working on reaching the '1.0' version. This should be a very robust, complete, finished version, of the current set of features (plus a few more). After we reach that state, we will start adding new cool features like these.

Also, anyone with the will and skills to develop them is welcome to contribute.

sirichai

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 01:32:30 am »
Additional Ideas:

Create workspace for support employee in your company, structure as below

A)Company name
              - Bulletin Board for HR news, SSO news, CEO policy etc...
              - IT update (Let IT department show their contribute relate how to use IT in your business, Update topic about virus computer, Tips, Trick etc ....
              - Resource reservation
              - Project
                      - such as IT security project
                      - ISO 9001:2000 internal assessment
                      - Renovate company website for e-commerce.
                      - Roll out CRM solution.
B)Only Customer
              - customer1
                        -Project 1
                        -Project 2
              - customer2
                        -Project 1
                        -Project 2
C)Only business partner/Vendor
                 business partner1
                        - Service 1
                        - Service 2
                 business partner2
                        - Product1
                        - Product 2

2-After we use OpenGoo for a while, We will encounter active/Inactive data we had input
   therefore it will be good if our OpenGoo developer will make option control box to mark
   as active or inactive then move to archive database or save to DVD-rom.

3-I have test by input THAI LANGUANG, The result is fantastic display, Well done for localize Unicode function.

4-Please add "sort column" for display in release 1.0.

Thanks

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 05:05:22 pm »
Sirichai, I don't get your additional idea #1. Isn't that a regular Workspace structure?

3 - Thanks for the compliments.

2 & 4 - Will do.

sirichai

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 12:51:16 am »
Yes, You are right.

That is my offer an idea "how to apply workspace to support basic collaboration in SME business. however, it might be good for other people to kick start ...

One thing, I also would like to add more option.
each workspace may not need all Tab (objects).perhaps you may design an option by let Admin user to hide it.

Now i try find out opensource solution for SME.
There are
-OpenGoo   ........................for intranet collaboration.
-SugarCRM or vTiger         for intranet (Only Sale,Marketing and Operation)
-Web mail/POP/IMAP         for all users in the office.
-CMS (Joomla or other)      for intranet act like a company portal.
-Blog(Wordpress)               for each group of people who want to share their knowledge
                                             and path way to make center of excellence.(COE)
                                             and starter to capture knowledge management.
-Searching for all above application. (waiting...)

if you have solution , please sharing.

Thanks.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 05:28:39 am »
The option to 'customize' a Workspace, without all the tabs, will be included soon in a future release.

As for being an all-in-one Web solution for SMB (e-mail + ERP + Office), that's kind of the goal for OpenGoo. We are working hard on the e-mail client stuff, and will eventually have some functionality that will resemble that of a blog.

It is a lot of work though. You will have to wait for a bit yet.

alexandru

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 06:48:21 pm »
Hello, just started using open goo, after quite a lot of research on the internet... Let me say there are many interesting applications i have found, but what i liked about open goo it's the simplicity, yea there are some other good alternatives, even open source, but we have chosen open goo for our tasks.

My ideas for the open goo would not be so specific... :

- keep it simple, don't invest time in effort in the direction that other have already gone, do it only if the feature is really needed.
- make it suitable for plugins or modules.
- invest the time in features that are innovative and unique or at least rare among open source developments.
- try to make the solution you provide more popular.
- on the long run even the tiny details can make the difference.

Good luck!

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 07:27:27 pm »
Thanks for the feedback and compliments Alexandru!

I feel you are reflecting the values and spirit of the OpenGoo team with your suggestions. We will try to achieve them all. Only popularity is not entirely under our control. Hopefully, delivering a great product should take care of that.  ;D

Hope to hear more from you.

nemesi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 12:31:18 pm »
In reference to my little work to add the support for the text documents of eyeOS

http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=87.0

Why don't insert  this in the new release?
I know,is not a big idea but is something new, and i like the idea that these two open source project can work together.

What do you think?
I can give you my modifications if you want.