Author Topic: Mini tutorial & FAQ: Setting up email accounts and Cron settings  (Read 29443 times)

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mini tutorial & FAQ: Setting up email accounts and Cron settings
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:51:05 pm »
Considering there have been a lot of questions regarding both email accounts and Cron settings, we have decided to post some help here and some FAQs at the end of it. If you think something may be improved/added, please feel free to post below and we will decide whether to add it or not to this mini tutorial

Email accounts:

In order to set up email accounts, some information such as ports, servers and security are needed, so if you are not sure about this, please ask your email server administrator for these details.

Administration Electronic Mail Account:
This is the email account that your Feng Office installation is going to use to send notifications and reminders, so it is important to have it right.

We usually select "SMTP server" as mail transport, and remember that "SMTP address" usually is the same as "SMTP username".

Here you have an example for a Gmail account:

MS Exchange compatibility mode: No
Mail transport: SMTP server
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
SMTP address: emailname@gmail.com
Use SMTP authentication: Yes
SMTP username: emailname@gmail.com
SMTP password: mypassword
Use secure SMTP connection: Yes, use SSL
Email fetch limit: 10
Enable IMAP synchronization when sending emails from Feng Office: No

Regular Electronic Mail Account:
If we want to set up a regular email account, we must go to Email>Accounts>Add email account.

Once we are there, we have to type in the data required (careful with the port numbers, authentication, server, security, etc.)

Take into account that when you introduce a Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail account, Feng Office will automatically recognize it and fill in certain info for you. Do remember that when you set a Hotmail account, you may recieve emails, but not send them, and this happens because of THEIR settings, not ours.

If we set an IMAP email account, we will be able to choose which folders would we like to recieve emails from, by clicking on the select boxes.

If you happen to see a section mentioning IMAP synchronization, it is because your Feng Office Administrator has enabled this, otherwise, you will not see it. What is this for? Simple, this way you will be able to synchronize the emails you send from Feng Office with your email server, as long as it is an IMAP account.

Cron Events:
With the Cron Events, which the Feng Office Administrator will be able to set, your Feng Office installation may look for new emails automatically, send notifications, reminders and check for upgrades. How does this help? You will not spend time wasting for emails to be generated and sent for instance when you create a new object and subscriptions must be sent.

FAQs:

Q: I am 100% sure my email accounts settings are fine, but I still cannot send/recieve emails. What could it be?

A: You ought to double-check if the server hosting your Feng Office installation has those ports open or not.

Q: Downloading only 10 emails? How am I supposed to synchronize my email account with over 4k recieved emails?!

A: "Email fetch limit" This is the maximum amount of emails that you are going to download each time you press "Check mails". Do take into consideration that if you have the Cron Events running, you may download EVERY email from the account.

Q: IMAP Synchronization....? What is that?

A: From Feng Office 1.7.1 onwards you may synchronize the emails you send from Feng Office with your email Server via IMAP. Your Feng Office Administrator must set this to "Yes" and then you should edit your email account and fill in the required fields for this to work.

Q: The IMAP synchronization sounds great! But what if I have already been using Feng Office for a while and have not been able to synchronize this? Is it too late to synchronize my old sent emails from Feng Office?

A: No, it is not too late. Your Feng Office Administrator may do this for you by looking for the "Sync" button at Administration>Email Accounts, or you may do it yourself by running the following script:
.../public/tools/mailsyncscript.php?email=["email"]&username=["username"]

where:
["email"] = email address to be synchronized (i.e.: something@something.com)
["username"] = username of the owner of the account (i.e.: user1)

Q: The Cron seems to be a great tool... but how do I run it??

A: To run the FENG_ROOT/cron.php file:
in Linux, set a cron to run it
in Windows OS, you need to set a scheduled task to run it (you can create them at the Control Panel)

in order to do that in Windows, you have to run it with the php application, i.e.:

c:\path\php\php.exe c:\path\a\feng\cron.php

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:08:05 am by franponce87 »
Would you like to install Feng Office Professional or Enterprise Edition in your servers? No problem! Read this article!

lurdsammie

• View Profile
Re: Mini tutorial & FAQ: Setting up email accounts and Cron settings
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 11:36:14 am »
hello there,

Thanks for the tutorials.  My problem seems rather simple yet a great source of frustration. 

I am using IMAP to collect emails and that seems to be doing great.  Strangely the mail sending is just not working.  It does not come up with any error messages it actually indicates the mail has been sent but never reaches its destination.

My smtp server is simply mail.my_domain.com

Any ideas anybody?

Thanks

sammie

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 12:38:20 pm »
Hello, have you checked the cache/log.php file immediately after sending an email?
Have you checked the server address and port are ok and so are the security settings?

Best regards,
Francisco
Would you like to install Feng Office Professional or Enterprise Edition in your servers? No problem! Read this article!

lurdsammie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 09:37:38 pm »
Hello there,

It may sound funny but this problem had a very simple solution.  Set the smtp server to localhost.  And thats it.  Sorted!

:o

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:10:36 am »
That's great!

GRolenz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 09:52:55 pm »
Brilliant!

Thank you lurdsammie. I've been struggling with getting my IMAP accounts to work too. I changed the SMTP server to localhost and everything worked perfectly.

Thanks for posting the solution.

Greg

vixen800

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 04:54:36 pm »
hi,

This is just to add to the tutorial ... franponce87 was helpful when i asked the question, however, i'd like to just help the other NEWBIE'S out there ...

Where franponce87 says:
"Q: The Cron seems to be a great tool... but how do I run it??
A: To run the FENG_ROOT/cron.php file: in Linux, set a cron to run it

okay this is what worked for me, log into your cpanel go down to cron jobs, setup how often you want your cron job to run, the tricky part is point the cron to the right php file, for me the following works like a charm:
"php /home/cpanel username/public_html/feng directory/cron.php"
the things in italics are standard, the other you need to change to your descriptions

Hope that helps someone out there!

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:30:32 am »
Actually not everyone has a cPanel to add a cron job like that, but thanks for the input! It may help those people who do have it that way.

Best regards,
Francisco

audionuma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 01:44:34 am »
Hello,
unfortunately, after reading this mini tutorial, I still have issues with notifications.
Running feng Office 1.7.4 on a shared hosting. Logged in as administrator.
I have setup a smtp account for the administration mail account.
Sending a test message from Administration/Tools does work fine.

I am declared as subscriber to a document. I don't receive any notifications when I edit the document or add comment to the document or make a revision.

I've looked at cache/log.php, there's no mention of an error.

So, do I have to set up some cron task ? I'd rather have notifications sent as soon as an edit/comment/etc happens ...

For the time being, 'send event notification with cron' is not activated.

Thanks,

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 11:37:17 am »

I am declared as subscriber to a document. I don't receive any notifications when I edit the document or add comment to the document or make a revision.

Hi, welcome to Feng Office Forums!

That is because you are the one editing the document.. so it would make no sense to notificate you whenever you make changes. Try this: create a new user, make a comment on the very same document, and then the other users subscribed should receive a notification about it.

Best regards,
Francisco

audionuma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 03:07:47 am »
Hi, thank you and sorry for the noise, you are absolutely right.
I was driven into error because of this extract from the doc :

http://www.fengoffice.com/web/wiki/doku.php/subscriptions
Autosubscription

You will realize that you get notification e-mails for every object you have created or commented on without having subscribed to it. This is the autosubscription feature of Feng Office that creates a subscription for you. Of course you can unsubscribe at any time if you wish.
Am I misunderstanging that sentence or is that sentence outdated ?

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 11:08:23 am »
No problem.
Yes, I agree it may cause confusions, but what it means is that whenever you update an object or make a comment on it, you get autosubscribed, so if someone else comments or make changes on it, you will receive a notification.

The documentation is quite out of date in some areas.. but then again, it is of Wiki content, so anyone can help updating it. If you would like to do so, please go ahead.

Best regards,
Francisco

gcsantiago

• MSN Messenger - gipegasus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Linkedin
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 12:54:38 pm »
Hola, veo que es común tener dificultades para setear el correo y de ahí el tutorial, muchas gracias... yo no podía ser menos :S

v1.7.5 rencién instalada (primero instalé la 2beta (tampoco funcionó el tema de correo de cuentas) pero quise seguir por la estable, instalada separada...

Las notificaciones funcionan y la prueba de envío en opciones generales también, pero ninguna de las cuentas que he intentado ni recibe ni envía, ya revisé todo lo que pude y por supuesto son cuentas que funcionan con otras aplicaciones (por ejemplo uso PopTray todo el tiempo) ... para recibir me indica el error "Generic login error", hasta probé con la gmail que se supone se autoconfigura...
el log dice:

Session "default" started at 2011-10-26T15:27:07+0000
#1 ERROR: Error: set_time_limit() has been disabled for security reasons in '/www/docs/gipegasus.com.ar/public_html/fengoffice/application/controllers/MailController.class.php' on line 896 (error code: 2)
Time since start: 0.095198154449463 seconds
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Session "default" started at 2011-10-26T15:28:26+0000
#1 ERROR: Error: set_time_limit() has been disabled for security reasons in '/www/docs/gipegasus.com.ar/public_html/fengoffice/application/controllers/MailController.class.php' on line 1586 (error code: 2)
#2 ERROR: Error: fsockopen() has been disabled for security reasons in '/www/docs/gipegasus.com.ar/public_html/fengoffice/library/PEAR/Net/Socket.php' on line 136 (error code: 2)
Time since start: 0.15400695800781 seconds
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aclaro que todavía no ejecuté el proceso de cron por miedo a que falle a cada rato, lo que me deja la duda si es indispensable habilitarlo  ::)

Muchas gracias, espero poder solucionarlo pronto para empezar a contribuir !!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:58:35 pm by gcsantiago »

joseph25

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 07:26:42 am »
I sent you in pm
I'm on Twitter and my essay

gcsantiago

• MSN Messenger - gipegasus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Linkedin