Author Topic: What Email Host do you use?  (Read 7745 times)

spender

• View Profile
What Email Host do you use?
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:10:28 pm »
We absolutely love OpenGoo, and are a start-up enterprise ourselves.  Our mail is currently hosted with a provider who is clearly not compatible (for whatever reason) with OpenGoo, but we've decided we'd rather get OpenGoo working.  What email host (with reasonable hosting packages for less than 10 emails) are people using?

soomon

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What Email Host do you use?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:43:09 pm »
as far as i know some hosters requere! ssl login, which currently doesnt work.
somewher eon the forums ppl got gmail working with opengoo.
or you get a domain and you own mail address and are able to get pop login without ssl :))

spender

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 06:41:52 pm »
Thanks for the note, we do have our mail hosted with GoDaddy but it doesn't seem to be working, and I don't know if I am able to turn off security.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 08:51:48 pm »
The email is currently on beta. We plan to solve many of the issues with it on following releases. One of those issues being not supporting SSL.

About your particular issue, is your email account on the same server as OpenGoo? We had a problem once with a hosting provider that didn't allow outgoing connections to external servers. We had to purchase a dedicated IP for our hosting.

soomon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 09:01:41 pm »
if you get that working (and this upload problem), this will get a real alternative to gmail :)))

spender

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 01:29:12 pm »
About your particular issue, is your email account on the same server as OpenGoo? We had a problem once with a hosting provider that didn't allow outgoing connections to external servers. We had to purchase a dedicated IP for our hosting.

As it turns out, GoDaddy is my hosting solution, but it is also where our email is based.  It has crossed my mind that this is the issue.  Also, isn't SSL really only an issue for sending mail?

soomon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 02:28:25 pm »
no, ssl is especially an issue for logging in you email account (and you have to login when sending AND receiving :P
but th ebest case is when even the transmission is encrypted.

mhhm.. what will opengoo support?^^

davidl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 11:09:05 pm »
I use StartLogic (http://startlogic.com) to host my OpenGoo installation and corporate email. StartLogic isn't the... best solution, but normally, it is by far the cheapest. Only qualms are with their CS representatives; if you can manage your own shared hosting account (which isn't hard at all), then their price and feature set will work well for you.

I know you set the restriction to 10 accounts or less, but their combo of webhosting and unlimited email (ProLogic is $5.95 per/mo) beats the GoDaddy package for just email, in value.

Anyhow...

-David

dmiddlet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 06:03:11 am »
I use hostmonster.com  and have for a few years and I am very happy.  I switched to them when my last provider pretty much got non-responsive, had intermittent service and just plain stunk. 

Hostmonster has 5.95 per month for nearly unlimited service. (BTW - any time they come out with a new promotion, I just call and they upgrade my service with no cost and without a hassle.  It seems the new offer is unlimited storage, bandwidth, etc.)

I use both the secure email and non-secure email as needed (for OpenGoo) and they both work fine.  I have probably 30+ email accounts on there but it will allow you pretty much unlimited accounts.

I am not currently hosting my OpenGoo on there yet but they do support PHP5 and MySQL so I may see how it runs on there in the next few days.