Author Topic: Make Non Permissioned Tabs Invisible!  (Read 3807 times)

1luca

• View Profile
Make Non Permissioned Tabs Invisible!
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:11:51 pm »
I'd like the ability to configure the display the non-admin user sees. I thought I'd be able to do this using permissions, but this doesn't work. Instead the non-allowed tab is still visible and they can click over to it. It's not until you press "Add New" that you see that you don't have permission - an error box pops up telling you.

I wish it worked the way workspaces work.

The way workspaces works is great in that non permissioned workspaces are simply invisible. Why not extend that to the workspace tabs?

When coming over here I was hoping to be able to reduce the complexity of the app for my hires, and showing them only what was necessary for their work. Instead they'll see email, web links and all that stuff and wonder what it's about.

A bit disappointed...

Luke
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:14:51 pm by 1luca »

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
Re: Make Non Permissioned Tabs Invisible!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 05:49:04 pm »
If you do't plan to use email and weblink modules you can disable them (for all users)

1luca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 06:27:47 am »
Ok, that's a start and I'm a *bit* happier. I don't plan to use Email in ANY workspace so I've now zapped it.

But I only plan to use Web Links in ONE workspace hierarchy (our public training one), so I can't zap it from ANY workspace.

Same applies to files/documents. I don't plan to give people permission to upload those, except in a few public workspaces. But the module/tab will have be visible everywhere?

Any chance you might be looking to amend this in future?

For now, I would have to write training saying: "In this workspace you can only do this and this and this".

But wouldn't it be awesome if they were just hidden so I didn't have to explain?

Don't get me wrong, this app is briliant. Other apps don't even come close. This (hopefully) just a small extra thing I need.

But I know that when I talk to colleages about you, several will say: "In practical terms, everyone in my team likes Basecamp because it's brain-dead simple". Does that sound familiar?

I'm posting here because I'd also love my Feng Sky implementation to appear brain dead simple to team members. But better than Basecamp as you won't have fixed tabs, and can reduce the display to the minimum.

Remember, business people want simplicity (with flexibility), plus organization. That's why I came over here.

1luca

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:22:41 am »
Actually since I posted I've decided to take a different approach using the Module disabling feature mentioned. My approach then is to just completely remove everything that isn't essential to doing the work.

So I've removed Email, Contacts and Web Links.

The only tab appearing in the test account now that they won't use is Reporting. But perhaps I could switch that on only when I'm using it and switch it off again (would that work?) So for now, I'll remove it too.

So that's much better for now. I still think the feature of blocking non-permissioned tabs would be loved by many of your future customers.

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:13:04 am »
Thanks for your feedback Luca.
It will be considered in future releases.

Answering your question. Disabling a module has the only effect of hiding the information. You can turn it on and off again whenever you like and information won't be lost or changed.

1luca

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:33:36 pm »
OK great. I will make use of that for the Reporting tab.

dansmith65

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 06:42:19 pm »
I am a new user to Feng Office and would also like to see this feature.

Actually, to put it another way; when I was testing it out, I disabled access to email via permissions for a user, then logged in as that user and completely expected to NOT see the email tab.  I think it just makes sense, and is the expected result (to have tabs hidden if the user does not have access to it).