Author Topic: User experiences, random thoughts & wishful ideas  (Read 6096 times)

noorbeast

• View Profile
User experiences, random thoughts & wishful ideas
« on: November 19, 2008, 06:24:31 am »
First, let me say how appreciative I am to the developers of opengoo, it is a significant project that does you all great credit!

I have put together some of my experiences, random thought and wishful ideas as a new user of opengoo, for the last month, in the hope that it may be useful. Some issues have been commented on elsewhere in the forums, so please take my comments as agreement with issues already raised. Some of my comments may be the result of my ignorance in how to set up opengoo to do a certain task and if so I would appreciate comments from others as to how I may achieve a certain functionality. Some comments are pure wish list suggestions, which may or may not be possible or useful to others.

Email

While it is not central to my use, I would have thought that a proper attachment functionality is critical to opengoo as a web office. I know it is being worked on and would hope it would have a very high priority. It would also be nice to have a spell check before sending functionality.

Double entries

In some circumstances in creating entries, of a variety of types, opengoo creates a double entry. Very, very annoying and likely to corrupt the accuracy of data.

Repeating calender entry by time span rather than date

It would be useful to be able to set a repeating task every two weeks, so it repeats on a set day, say every 2nd Friday.

Reporting

It would be helpful for testing if the reporting function was able to be turned on from the administration panel, perhaps with a warning about being alpha and a request for bug and development feedback to a specific thread. The ability to run ad hoc reports is a real feature for me in opengoo. An alternative may be to have a sticky Tips & Tricks section in the forum, or perhaps the new wiki, which makes the enabling of such functionality more obvious than buried here: http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=302.0

Reporting - Group pending tasks

Pending tasks are currently displayed in a report as a separate unworked pending task area. It would perhaps be helpful if a pending task displayed under its parent task, marked as 'Pending', or perhaps have a setting to select which view to use. This would enable a status type reporting that displays what is done and what is pending.

Complimentary functionality

I currently have OSSEC http://www.ossec.net/main/ set up in an extra tab to monitor security. OSSEC is both open source and cross platform. Perhaps down the track such projects may be able to be installed from the administration panel as an 'extras' module, which compliment functionality, rather than integrate fully with opengoo. As an aside, OSSEC does not render its layout and images when setup as a tab via: http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=421.0  At some later date I will have a look to see why, as I am interested in integrating it further into a page that covers other areas of system monitoring.

Tags

While I am aware that tags are deleted from the tag panel when what they relate to is removed, it would be nice to have a way to delete a tag from the panel as an administrative management option.

Task time allocation

At the moment the input for time billed to a task is only listed as hours, in many cases hours & minutes would be better.

Track birthdays

I work with many children and young people, where I would like the option to tick a box and track birthdays.

System wide settings

It would be helpful to have system wide settings for things such as time zones, with the alternative to change it. While I understand the flexibility point made here http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=155.0 in my view individual entries are a very messy way to achieve it.

Backups

It is great to have the backup functionality. For clarity sake the brief instructions should perhaps mention that you need to delete the previous backup before creating a new backup. Down the track it would be great to expand the backup functionality to include multiple backups that are capable of being automated.

Once again, thanks for opengoo!

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: User experiences, random thoughts & wishful ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 11:56:32 am »
Hi noorbeast,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your opinions about OpenGoo in such a detailed manner. I've read it fully and agree with all of your requests. As you may know, we are currently working on OpenGoo 1.1 that will be out on December, and we have already a full schedule until that date, so it is very difficult for us to add new features unless we get more people into development, but I will add all of your requests to our task list so that they'll be considered for following releases.

I have a few questions on some of your concerns:

1) About double entries: We detected it when saving presentations and when double clicking a submit button. The first one has already been fixed and the second one will be fixed soon. Does this happen to you on any other occasions?

2) About what you need to do with repeating events, you can now choose to repeat an event every 2 weeks, by selecting "Repeat weekly" and then choosing 2 weeks on the text field.

3) The "Unworked tasks" category is difficult to mix it with the tasks time slots. We thought it would be useful to see tasks that match the criteria of the report but that were not worked on. However, the report is actually a listing of timeslots.

Thanks.

noorbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 10:28:52 pm »
Hi ignacio.

1) I get double and even triple entries in tasks, calendars and notes. It may be that I am too quick on the mouse sometimes. Not sure if it makes a difference but the mouse battery is low and I do run compiz. I shall get some new batteries and see what happens.

2) Many thanks ignacio, my ignorance in action!

3) My wishful thinking, but is it possible for the Unworked tasks to inherit a heading from the parent slot? I know in my case that some form of status report would be great.

Please don't take my ramblings as pressure for new features. As with my comments regarding email, there are areas of core functionality that I think needs priority over wish lists, even though I do not need it.

Keep up the great work, I can't wait for my opengoo 1.1 Christmas present!

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:55:29 am »
Hi noorbeast,

Our main priorities for the moment, but that will see the light on versions 1.2 and later, are email and integration/importing/exporting.

I can't wait for my opengoo 1.1 Christmas present!
LOL, have you been a good boy this year?  ;D

noorbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 03:54:11 am »
I can't wait for my opengoo 1.1 Christmas present!
LOL, have you been a good boy this year?  ;D
[/quote]

Hmmm, depends on who you ask! Does posting to the opengoo forum influence Santa's naughty and nice list?  ::)

noorbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 12:43:11 am »
Hi ignacio.

Re: 1) I get double and even triple entries in tasks, calendars and notes. It may be that I am too quick on the mouse sometimes. Not sure if it makes a difference but the mouse battery is low and I do run compiz. I shall get some new batteries and see what happens.

I can confirm the double and tripe entries were caused by a faulty mouse!