Author Topic: "Create and link" from any object  (Read 2685 times)

fkstef

• View Profile
"Create and link" from any object
« on: July 01, 2010, 06:36:52 pm »
I find myself often in the need to link the object I am editing to a new object that does not exist yet. At the moment there are a lot of clicks involved.

For example, when I have a task that relates to a new contact I don't have in the system yet, the current process is :
  • from the "task" screen, either go to contacts screen and create new, or click on "New >> contact" in the top button
  • create the contact
  • Either in the contacts form, select link object and link with the previously created task, or go back to task and link with my new contact.

Somehow I think the "go back to find the task" step is one too much, since I had the task on the screen right before I created the contact.

My suggested solution for this is while I am editing any object to have a button that allows me to create a new object and link to the current edited object in one operation.

The easiest would be to duplicate the generic "New" button on top right of the screen and show a "New & Link" button right next to it when editing an object, that offers the same options, I might want to create a contact and link it, I might want to create another task and link it, etc...

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
Re: "Create and link" from any object
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:28:53 am »
Agree that it's an interesting feature.
What's your use case? i.e. what do yo use Feng tasks and contacts for?

icfw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 05:41:57 pm »
Cabeza,

I agree with fkstef, the Feng Office offers great features, but somehow there are still many clicks involved. Shortcuts of this nature would enhance the navigation within the script and allow users to become more efficient, save more time when navigating through the script, and get the job done faster.

I would love to see this feature implemented in the future releases.

Thanks.
.Mirsad

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:21:56 am »
I agree with both.

However I'd like to understand your real-life problem (i.e. "when a customer requests a job I create a task and link it to his contact, I have to do this at least 10 times per day"). I already understood the generic problem (i.e. create a task and link it requires many clicks) and the solution you propose (i.e. I need an extra button).