Author Topic: ConradO, give us tasks dependency, please!  (Read 3756 times)

WiZaxx

• View Profile
ConradO, give us tasks dependency, please!
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:36:33 am »
In view of the great progres made by Allenlook, would it be ssoooo difficult to add task dependency to the database ???

--Wz

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
Re: ConradO, give us tasks dependency, please!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:47:49 am »
The trick is to come up with a simple/supportable interface for defining dependencies.  Maybe we can help by brainstorming what would work best.

Perhaps we make the assumption for now that only tasks can be linked to other tasks, and not to milestones or workspaces.  That makes things much simpler.

We can also assume that tasks can have more than one dependent, so it is a list and not just a single value.  It helps to know that.

Next, we need a way to identify the dependencies.  It is not simple enough to work with task ID's directly, and it is not enough to only link tasks by name because they may be duplicated across milestones, so what is the easy way to view all of your tasks and establish dependency relationships between them?  Ideas?
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

WiZaxx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:03:24 am »
Would it help to work bottom-up?

I mean, thinking that a task is dependent from [another task/milestone] rather than a task has dependencies.

I agree that working with a one-to-one system would be easier, afterall, there is always ONE task that dictates the completion of a set. The report is what comes to mind.

What comes to mind is the "simple" structure applied to the workspace(s): you create one and you set from which it "depends". Am I oversimplifying it?

Agree, let's brainstorm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:13:40 am by WiZaxx »

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 05:11:45 pm »
The only problem is that a task can be dependent upon more than one task, and a task can have more than one dependent.

It would require "sets" of dependencies in a table which is fine because that's how jsGantt accepts them, or it would require a small many-to-many table.

I may create my own dependency manager if I get time, but I think I'm running out.
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 10:55:15 am »
I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 11:57:54 am »
Welcome back, Cabeza!  ;D
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

Chase

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 01:00:33 am »
Yes yes yes! We just tested out this package as a demo. I've demo'd probably 15 softwares over the last two years, used Sharepoint, etc., and this has to be my favorite. The main thing it's missing is dependencies. We have a lot of R&D type projects and construction type projects that have a lot of dependencies. I love the workspace setup, though, and the user-friendliness.

What would the cost be on something like this for a sponsorship?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:04:50 am by Chase »

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 11:27:36 am »
@Chase,
Thanks for the compliments! A member of our team will contact you.