Author Topic: Error with permissions  (Read 3816 times)

azlk

• View Profile
Error with permissions
« on: November 16, 2008, 08:46:26 pm »
I think this is a bug.

I have 2 projects, say, "Common" and "Internal"
In "Internal" I have created some contacts, ok, then I go to "Common" and strange thing - any user from "Common" can see all contacts from "Internal".
But I didn't want them to be able to see contacts from another project!

If I downgrade permissions for user from "Common" to not be able to manage contacts, then he can't even create a contact himself, he needs to ask administrator to do that, which is not right, imho.
Thus, instead of having different, independable projects we have some projects whose content is transparent thru all tree of projects... :o

Another issue is that when I create a project, I need to create new user(s) who would work with it.
When I create them, every user for some unclear for me logic gets his own sub-project, like this:
user: demo, I get a new sub-project demo_personal!...

But why should a new user have his_own_subproject on default, without asking him if he needs it? >:(
I don't have an idea...

What if I want 5-10 users to work on THIS project, and IF any of these users would ever have a need for his own project - he would then create it himself!

Sincerely, Alexandr

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: Error with permissions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:09:21 am »
Hi Alexandr,

I agree that the contacts permissions are not clear enough. Initially we thought of contacts as belonging to the company, so every contact created would be visible by all users that could manage contacts. We then thought that it would be better, for the added functionality and so as to be coherent with the rest of the application, to make contact permissions behave the same as the rest of the content objects. But since then we have been prioritizing other features over this and so it hasn't been implemented yet, but we do plan to resolve this, and when we do we promise to be careful with the upgrade so as to make the transition as smooth as possible.

The idea behind personal workspaces is that a user always has where to store his stuff. We could add an option when creating the user to let you choose which is the user's personal workspace. Personal workspaces also serve the purpose of storing information that you don't want to share, either because it's private to you or because it's a work in progress.

azlk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:59:47 pm »
Hi Alexandr,

I agree that the contacts permissions are not clear enough. Initially we thought of contacts as belonging to the company, so every contact created would be visible by all users that could manage contacts. We then thought that it would be better, for the added functionality and so as to be coherent with the rest of the application, to make contact permissions behave the same as the rest of the content objects. But since then we have been prioritizing other features over this and so it hasn't been implemented yet, but we do plan to resolve this, and when we do we promise to be careful with the upgrade so as to make the transition as smooth as possible.

The idea behind personal workspaces is that a user always has where to store his stuff. We could add an option when creating the user to let you choose which is the user's personal workspace. Personal workspaces also serve the purpose of storing information that you don't want to share, either because it's private to you or because it's a work in progress.

Hello, Ignacio!
I realize it is not that easy to take into accounr every detail (not to say there are infinity of these details) when somebody create such complicated system like OpenGoo.
We could participate more effectively in your project if we had more information about it.
My friend made a very sophisticated db work in 1996 yet for government project (www.museum.ru), actually it was hand-made CMS on NT DB engine while there were no CMS at all at that time.
He is a very skilled programmer with tremendous experience and I think he could bring in many advantages to OpenGoo project. And he has an eager desire to do it  ;)
If you had an expanded description of architecture and API of system it could help a lot.
More particulary we'd like to know about hierarchy of objects, DB, php (server-side) and .js (client-side). Also it would be helpfull to know about directory structure to not dig-it-yourself...time consuming...
He think he could add JPGraph as engine for creating diagrams, in particular GANTT charts, which are of great demand in this field of software.
This evening we talked with him about OpenGoo and we spent whole evening discussing some ideas for internationalization, interface, permissions etc.

If you are interested in our participation in this way, you could provide us with info you have, so we could begin to work at it.

P.S. again, we discussed this evening what is better - OFC or JPGraph and decided that winner (in our opinion) is all the same JPG, coz it is:
1. extensively developed from 2000 (or early?) and well documented
2. pure php - no adds needed in client side
3. genetared with JPGraph picture can be inserted in any place of any page (while OFC not - many hostings decline inserting flash object into forum or blog!)
4. OFC doesn't have a ready GANTT diagram while JPGraph already has it.
And these funny animations from OFC...I doubt that the user would need it in price of degraged functionality...
I think animation in this case doesn't have semantic loading.

Sincerely, azlk...sorry, Alexandr ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:45:08 pm by azlk »

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 07:16:56 am »
Hi Alexandr,

Sorry I took so long to answer. We would love if you could help us with development, in nay way you can. We don't have a formal development documentation written, but you can contact us through contact@opengoo.org and we can explain you any doubts you have. I will start writing today the developer's manual, little by little, so that we are better prepared for new developers in the future.

Thank you for volunteering.