Author Topic: Question regarding Email  (Read 6683 times)

pyrox

• View Profile
Question regarding Email
« on: November 14, 2008, 02:17:19 pm »
When I set up the e-mail account for a workspace, does everyone who have access to that workspace have access to that e-mail account?  Or is that e-mail account only for "me" in that workspace?

For example, I have 3 users with access to workspace X.  Can each of us set up a separate e-mail account in workspace X (and have it hidden from each other?)  Or does everyone have access to it.

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: Question regarding Email
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 02:50:18 pm »
Hi pyrox,

You don't associate email accounts to workspaces. Email accounts are independent of workspaces and personal to each user. Your email is visible when you don't have a workspace selected ("All" is selected) only to you . You can then associate one or more emails to a workspace, and then yes, every user with permissions to read emails on that workspace will be able to access those emails.

pyrox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 03:17:44 pm »
Oh I see.  Thanks.

It would be nice if I could have my personal e-mail within that workspace as well.  This way different projects can have it's own e-mail address that only I have access too.  But I can see how this can be a lot of work :)

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 03:44:56 pm »
Hi Pyrox.

Good questions.

As all of you know, the e-mail module is a beta. The reason is that e-mail is harder than it seems, and to have a 'state of the art' AJAXy Webmail module integrated in OpenGoo is not a trivial task. We are hoping that developers from the community jump in to help with this part. We are confident it will happen, as many have shown interest in it.

To address the 'philosophy' part of your question: when you 'categorize' an e-mail message (by that I mean: to put it in a Workspace), like with any other 'Content Object' in the system, you now share that message with everyone accessing that WS.

But, if you categorize it to a Sub-WS of the parent WS, to which only you have access (Your own WS inside the WS that all of you share), then the others will not see it.

I would like to have my personal messages automagically delivered to my personal folder as well, so I promise you that it will eventually be implemented. When do we get there? It will depend on how fast we can make the community grow and contribute on e-mail in particular.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:00:25 pm »
You should talk to the folks at atmail.com see if they wold be interested in collaborating... maybe make an @mail module for OpenGoo?
Rob Portinga
Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 03:39:22 pm »
You should talk to the folks at atmail.com see if they wold be interested in collaborating... maybe make an @mail module for OpenGoo?

I just took an look at atmail.com and there mail aplication looks nice but way to complicated/advanced for opengoo, in my opinion!

They have another tool called sync utility for outlook, and that seems to work just great syncing there calender with MS outlook.

Code: [Select]
What is the Atmail sync utility?
The utility allows you to sync your webmail account with Outlook. With it all contacts, calendar and task information you have with the WebMail account are transferred over to Outlook, and vice-versa.
How do I enable Mail sync with Outlook?
To sync your WebMail account with Outlook, do the following:
   1. First, download the Atmail-sync installation utility for Outlook 2000, 2003 or 2007 at http://atmail.com/websync/websync-54.exe
   2. After downloading, run the webmail-sync installation utility and install the software on your computer. After installation, restart Outlook and the new plugin will be automatically installed.

Maybe the OpenGoo devteam should take an look at that tool and maybe convert it for use with the OpenGoo package.

Another suggestion is to use the existing Roundcube webmail package for the OpenGoo webmail?
Thumps up for the OpenGoo development