Author Topic: Internal messaging system instead of email  (Read 5686 times)

pedja

• View Profile
Internal messaging system instead of email
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:54:04 am »
I see FengOffice relies on email for messaging among users. This is not quite good solution as email is used for much more stuff than monitoring collaboration.

My coleagues use email for lots of stuff and also use email clients to get email. They cannot leave email on POP3 server so FengOffice could catch it too. Simply said, they refuse requirement to let FengOffice handle their email.

It is also not good to have separate email just for FengOffice usage, as that removes the most important role of email - to be notified that something new happened and that you have to log in to the FengOffice to check it out.

Email usage with collab software can be useful for notifications but not as messaging system. It would be better of FengOffice offers it's own internal messaging system, and use mail just for notifications, as, probably, most of the people expect.

Karl

• ICQ Messenger - 464979879
    • View Profile
Re: Internal messaging system instead of email
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:16:05 pm »
I would second that (adding a internal messaging system).

I don't use email within Feng Office because of the same reasons.

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 04:03:50 am »
I only use 1 email account within Feng for notifications, that's it. It's like trying to replace your spreadsheet with a napkin & pencil.
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:29:28 am »
I also only use one email account in Feng for notifications.

I don't see Feng as an e-mail or an instant messaging provider in itself - I would dearly love to see it be much more integrated into already-existing e-mail providers however.
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

Karl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:42:24 am »
I'm not thinking on INSTANT messaging system too. I would like to see which user is logged in and to have the possibility to send him a short message.

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 05:19:49 pm »
Ah, so you're interested in "presence".
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

Karl

• View Profile
Clutterpad.com
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 05:11:54 am »
Today I stumbled upon this: http://www.clutterpad.com/homepage/tour?section=chatrooms

Maybe it's an inspiration for the developers.