Author Topic: Private Tags  (Read 3904 times)

chamont

• View Profile
Private Tags
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:01:40 pm »
From what I see, each time I create a tag, it is visible to all the users of my Feng Office installation ? True ?

That's a problem. I love tags, create hundred of them, and will pollute the global context.

Is there hope that one day we can create tags which are attached to a given context, just the same as tasks/events/emails/etc ?

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
Re: Private Tags
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:37:04 pm »
Sorry to be dense, when you say attached to a given context, what do you mean?

Visible only to a person or group or company?  Visible only within a given workspace?
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

dam-scasi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 04:00:15 am »
Hi

I've made a little fix for that : http://forums.fengoffice.com/index.php?topic=3491.msg13486#msg13486

My fix check only if you have access to the workspace in wich tags are used, but you can use it until version 1.7 is out, because normally it will be better.

For example in 1.7 you won't see the tag of an object invisible to you even if he is in a workspace wich you have access.

Edit : Or you can download the 1.7 beta 2, open the file /application/models/tags/Tags.class.php and copy the getTagNames function in your version ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:29:56 am by dam-scasi »

chamont

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:28:49 am »
Sorry to be dense, when you say attached to a given context, what do you mean?

Visible only to a person or group or company?  Visible only within a given workspace?

Yes, I was meaning workspace. Sorry for the bad terminology.
I am using the french interface, and sometimes I make errors when searching for the equivalent english feng term.

chamont

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:36:27 am »
Hi

I've made a little fix for that : http://forums.fengoffice.com/index.php?topic=3491.msg13486#msg13486

My fix check only if you have access to the workspace in wich tags are used, but you can use it until version 1.7 is out, because normally it will be better.

For example in 1.7 you won't see the tag of an object invisible to you even if he is in a workspace wich you have access.

Edit : Or you can download the 1.7 beta 2, open the file /application/models/tags/Tags.class.php and copy the getTagNames function in your version ;D

Thanks for the patch  :)

My concern is not for privacy, but just not to pollute everyone with my tons of tags. If a dozen of users declare a hundred tags each, the use of tag scould became a nightmare, I guess.

Anyway, I wonder  what happens when several users declares the same tags...

dam-scasi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:51:11 am »
Anyway, I wonder  what happens when several users declares the same tags...
I'm not sure I understand what you want to say, but if the same tag is used several times, the number will be display beside the tag name in the tag list, no matter who created it or where it's used.

chamont

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:02:52 am »
Yes. I start to understand that tags should not be seen as independent objects, stored in the database on their own, but rather as a list made on-the-fly from the feng objects.
Actually that's perfect this way, and very close to a personnal tagging system I developed some years ago.
I just hope this will scale well when I will start to tag dastardly my 10000 emails...