Author Topic: Comments - Replying/Nesting/Formatting  (Read 6808 times)

gah242s

• View Profile
Comments - Replying/Nesting/Formatting
« on: March 22, 2010, 02:25:38 pm »
I've seen a few posts about comment nesting, so I'd like to just add a +1 there.  (The ability to reply to each comment individually, rather than a numbered chronological layout.)  Also, the ability to format comments seems to just make sense since it is all HTML, so +1 there too.

However, some users would find it very useful to reply to the notification e-mail, rather than following the link and logging in to the system to reply.  Are there any plans to move this way, or is this a HUGE undertaking?

Thanks

gah242s

• View Profile
Re: Comments - Replying/Nesting/Formatting
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 02:34:01 pm »
Sorry for replying to my own post, but it seems like a better idea than editing the original in this case.

If the e-mail response were in place, then couldn't Feng be used for these Forum pages instead of the third party forum software?  Seems like a great way to introduce the product to new people, get a better feel for what should be on top of the priority list, and encourage a whole new line of thinking?

Thanks

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:50:59 pm »
A comment system is not a forum system. I don't think such capability could be used instead of a forum. A forum system  has a lot of features that makes the administration easier.
Gnumla
Tu sitio de Joomla! en espaƱol

raboof

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 05:06:06 am »
+1 here.

After starting to use OpenGoo deeper and moving all the organization's tracking over there, comments are often used to follow up a ticket publicly and take a decision on it. The lack of a comment referencing has almost immediately popped up as a demand.

"Nesting" would be great, but I think a "reference to" possibility might already solve 80% of the problems with 5% of the effort:

1) you have already provided a (reference-able indexing for comments: #1, #2, ...)
2) you parse comments' content: when -- say -- @#2 is found, you can
       a) render it with a tooltip containing the raw-text of the referenced comment, eg with a plain "title" attribute
       b) render it as an hyperlink to the referenced comment

This should come quite cheap to implement and already solve most of it, ie it works for 10-15 comments. If you sort comments by referencing rather than by date (ie #5 comes after #2 because it references #2), without necessarily "nesting" or other layout mods, this could work also for 50 or more. I can contribute code for computing the order that you can include for this, if you are interested (using plain topological sort).

If comments are used seriously on the platform, I think this feature is really hot, almost essential.

What do you think of this?

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 07:03:24 am »
Before using Feng Office as a public forum more things have to be done, like being able to view content without logging in and letting users register by themselves.

I also think nesting comments would be useful and not too hard to implement.

raboof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 08:18:34 am »
Before using Feng Office as a public forum more things have to be done, like being able to view content without logging in and letting users register by themselves.

Wait a second, I think we both insisted we are not looking for "forum" capabilities, let alone "public".

Our need is limited to the ability to answer individual comments. For example, Conrado says "foo", Alonso says "bar", then Esperanza says "baz". Then you want to answer Conrado, but his comment is so much ahead that it's hard to associate.

What we propose wants to address just that.

gah242s

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 02:51:12 pm »
Sorry for making things messy with the suggestion of the forums idea.  Just thought it was a cool conceptual usage idea for Feng.  Continue on with the rest of the ideas as they are much more important with a larger group of people.

timveer

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 05:50:49 pm »
This is an old one, but still on the money.

Ignacio commented

We know the FO team is busy, busy, busy with FO2 release, but has anyone else played with or worked out a solution for this??

Tim