Author Topic: How to actually install opengoo?  (Read 7671 times)

BunyipCatcher

• View Profile
How to actually install opengoo?
« on: November 12, 2008, 04:48:23 pm »
G'day All,

Maybe Iam right out of my league here but have seen open goo and had a play with the tasks on the demo but want to give it a go for some of my projects.

But where do I go to find out how to install it?  I found the install.txt file and have tried following it.

1) I have uploaded all files to where my website is hosted.
2) I have gotten through creating a database.
3) It was only through pure luck that I figured out how to install the sql file.  If you open it up it tells you try doing it through phpAdmin. 
4)Its when I get to edit the config.php that things start to go funny.  I have taken the empty.config.php and added the name of the DB, the user name I setup in the DB and the password I created in the DB.  Where in this config.php file does it say anything about CAL_STAND_ALONE.  Then how do I know whether it is standalone or integrated?
5)How do I get it to come up in the browser?

If all this is pretty simple I apologise.  Im not a computer consultant.  Anyhelp would really be appreciated, so I can give this a proper testing.

Regards,
Scott

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.
    • Email
Re: How to actually install opengoo?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:40:15 am »
I just did mine yesterday... after uploading the files to a newly created sub-domain, creating the database from my host's control panel, I just pointed my browser to the location I uploaded the files too and was directed to the install page.

That page seems to take care of adding the database tables and creating your admin account, shouldn't need to mess with going into phpmyadmin or editing the config file manually.
Rob Portinga
Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.

BunyipCatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:54:09 am »
Thanks for the reply.

Ill have to do some research on what is a sub-domain.  Can you show me what you typed in your browser window....or give me an example.

Cheers

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 12:05:09 pm »
a subdomain is the part before the domain name... like "maps.google.com" is a subdomain of google.com

You could also do the same thing with a subfolder, sorta... they could have done google.com/maps

subdomains are frequently used to help separate distinct areas... rather than lumping them under the main domain.

for example, my personal site is upmykilt.net, instead of using subfolders for my photos gallery I have the subdomain http://photos.upmykilt.net

I do the same stuff with our work items. I don't want this to be part of my main site at bauercompanies.com, so for now it's set up at http://test.bauercompanies.com - and that's where I went to with my browser to set it up.

If you did yours in a sub folder, such as http://mydomain.com/opengoo - then that is where you need to go to do the install.
Rob Portinga

BunyipCatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 12:29:58 pm »
Im starting all over again.  Lets see if I can get this thing going.  I have created the subdomain.  I have deleted the database and will create a new one in a moment or two.  Then will upload the files again.

Just one final thing.  Which file do I use to run the setup?

eg Would it be http://opengoo.mydomain.com/init.php?

Thanks again

BunyipCatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 01:31:57 pm »
Alright, I have everything on there, new DB created.

Tried www.opengoo.mydomain.com and it tries to install I guess.  But I get the following error in the browser window:

Installation error: in order to run OpenGoo you need PHP5. Your current PHP version is: 4.4.8

Now I have checked the stats window of the control panel of my provider and it says PHP 5.2.5 and MySQL 4.1.22.

So as far as I can tell that should be ok.  Is there something else I need to change to get this up and running?

Cheers,
Scott

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 01:54:24 pm »
You have to setup your server to process .php files with PHP5 instead of PHP4.

Try this: http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=397.msg1532#msg1532

BunyipCatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:16:44 pm »
Cheers Ignacio,

I fixed that through the control panel of my provider.  Now just some final questions about the system settings.

database type: MySQL
host name: local host?
username:?
password:?
database name: sviney_opengoo

not sure if i have to add anything else to other settings....
Iam using a subdomain.

What am I missing now?

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 04:11:11 pm »
there's nobody here that can tell you your host name... and the username and password would be something you would have set up or assigned when you created the database...

check with your hosting company for help on those.
Rob Portinga

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:18:14 pm »
That's right. The hostname is probably "localhost", the username and password are setup in your hosting provider's control panel. You usually have to create a user and give it all permissions to the database you created.

BunyipCatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 02:41:41 pm »
G'day,

I just want to send a big thanks for all your help with getting my opengoo up and running.  I posted a ticket with my web provider and they answered my final questions.  And I have started playing around with the tasks portion (which is what I really wanted at the moment). 

One improvement I would like to ask to be put in the wishlist would be that when you create something, IE a new task, user, company, whatever.  That you dont hide different parts where things can be added.

Thats it for now, thanks again, and I cant wait for future updates and improvements, you guys rock!

Regards,
Scott