Author Topic: Documentation in a single file? Change "Owner Company" to "Co-ordinator"?  (Read 4843 times)

javier

• View Profile
Hello,

I'm the manager of an academic project and I'm evaluating several programs to manage the project. Now Feng Office seems to be the best candidate to fulfil our needs.

I have installed it in a test box and now I'm playing with it. There are a couple of questions I'd like to ask you. Maybe they've been answered before but I couldn't find them here after several searches.

The first one is documentation. I understand that the documentation is in the documentation wiki. Is it possible to have it in a single file? I would like to print it to read it carefully. And, it would make easier for me to send the user documentation to the rest of project members.

The second question is about the use of "Owner company" and "Client company" terminology. We are not a business, we are an academic project and it would be more convenient to use something like "Co-ordinator" and "Partner". Would it be difficult to make this change?

Thanks,

Javier

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
Re: Documentation in a single file? Change "Owner Company" to "Co-ordinator"?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:12:42 pm »
It would be awesome to do both - eg. print the documentation and also to be able to change the terms to something besides companies, like team-related terms.
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:49:21 am »
For the wiki, I don't think that a collected version exists, but you are more than welcome to compile it and share with the rest of the class.

For the renaming of terms, I could see wanting to have "team" instead of "company" but for things like "coordinator", wouldn't that describe a person? if so, then just list "coordinator" as their role. as far as I am aware, there is not currently a way to change the terms without doing some tinkering under the hood.

javier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:34:56 am »
Hi!

Last Friday morning I spent some time gathering the documentation wikipages. I made two pdf files:

* Feng Office User Manual:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/460775/Feng%20Office%20User%20Manual.pdf

* Fen Office Administrator Manual: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/460775/Feng%20Office%20Administrator%20Manual.pdf

A couple of notes about them:

* The manuals are a snapshot from February 26th, 2010 (in the morning, if you are interested)

* I made both files in a quick'n'dirty way. The are not pretty but I didn't want to spend time making look nicer. I just wanted something I could print or share with my users

* I will have the files in my dropbox public folder for the next weeks but I eventually deleted them. Maybe it could be a good idea to upload them to the Feng Office documentation server. If you di it, you wouldn't need to say anything about me.

About how to change company for institution in the Feng Office UI, I have thought an easy way to do it that it seems to work quite well. I copied the en_EN folder and I renamed it as en_INST. Then, I change what I want using the translation tools. To check what I'm doing I just need to select en_INST as language in the Feng Office configuration. Once I finish my customization I only need to remove the en_EN folder and rename my localization.

Javier

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 11:39:40 am »
Docs in a single file sounds great.

I fully second the need to change "Owner Company" to something else - I believe we should have the option to call it what we need to.

I also would like to change "Clients" to something else.

For my own purposes, having them be "Coordinator" and "Teams" could suffice.

The secondary issue is that I need a person to be able to belong to more than one "Client" (or Team).
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
awesome job Javier! Way to show some hustle ;D  Also great idea on the language edit