Author Topic: On the future of Feng Office  (Read 39888 times)

Murz

• View Profile
Re: Why Feng Office is going nowhere ?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 04:28:54 am »
Wow! GelSheet editor is very good! Thanks for info about it, I try to install in on current fengoffice version, because our company very needs it.

Reza Faghihi

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 09:57:46 am »
it doesn't seem feng is going nowhere at this point i think debugging is very critical and its a good thing that feng team put their effort on debugging except adding tons of new feature like many other projects .
the real problem is in plugin system if feng office plugin system improved 3rdparty developers can make great plugins like many other great opensource project like joomla or drupal they dont have too much feature in main release you can unleash their power by using 3rdparty plugins or your custom designed plugin
also any open source projects needs findings and financial support it could be by members donations or they can start to offer some commercial services
and i think 1000$ for this feature its a good and valuable price

goonerforlife

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 09:41:50 am »
Even though im fairly new to the opengoo/ feng office scene i feel i should point out that (from my point of view) ALOT of these little arguments would be resolved if there was a centralised module service.
Something that alot of other projects have (jooml, drupal ,modx etc etc).
This opens the entire software up to be properly supported by the community AND allows the genuine contributions that are popular to be integrated (by the dev team so they still have work !) .

Without this type of model/service/approach its difficult for a community to add anything to project such as this in any meaningful way. Alot of people dont have time to sit down and write a large forum post. (me being one of them! this is my lunch break gone btw :( )

For example i have written a few modules recently for feng office one of which was a (fairly complex) charting plugin which im sure would be a great addition but there isnt an obvious place to put it and i dont have time to write a forum post to the standard i would want (i dont want to just drop it in on a lunchtime after spending the time to write it)

Also there are a few core bus/missing calls that i noticed as i was building this and patched but again i would need to spend more time on the forum to write out everything i have done.

Time i dont really have!

and now my lunch breaks over ....

Murz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 06:37:51 am »
We hope to release at least an alfa of 1.8 this year with some of these changes!
Any news about 1.8 alfa version, where can I look on it? Maybe in some svn or git repo?
http://opengoo.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/opengoo/ and http://fengoffice.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fengoffice/ links don't work
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:32:25 am by Murz »

franponce87

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 10:53:07 am »
Even though im fairly new to the opengoo/ feng office scene i feel i should point out that (from my point of view) ALOT of these little arguments would be resolved if there was a centralised module service.
Something that alot of other projects have (jooml, drupal ,modx etc etc).
This opens the entire software up to be properly supported by the community AND allows the genuine contributions that are popular to be integrated (by the dev team so they still have work !) .

Without this type of model/service/approach its difficult for a community to add anything to project such as this in any meaningful way. Alot of people dont have time to sit down and write a large forum post. (me being one of them! this is my lunch break gone btw :( )

For example i have written a few modules recently for feng office one of which was a (fairly complex) charting plugin which im sure would be a great addition but there isnt an obvious place to put it and i dont have time to write a forum post to the standard i would want (i dont want to just drop it in on a lunchtime after spending the time to write it)

Also there are a few core bus/missing calls that i noticed as i was building this and patched but again i would need to spend more time on the forum to write out everything i have done.

Time i dont really have!

and now my lunch breaks over ....

We are aware of this, but unfortunately we have not developed such feature yet.
If you have written some modules you would like to share with the Community, you should add it in the Development > Community Contribution section... I am sure you would be able to spare some time to write a proper post and share what you have done with the Community if you really want to share it..

We hope to release at least an alfa of 1.8 this year with some of these changes!
Any news about 1.8 alfa version, where can I look on it? Maybe in some svn or git repo?
http://opengoo.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/opengoo/ and http://fengoffice.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fengoffice/ links don't work

Not yet considering we have released a 1.7.3.X version with several bug fixing and little improvements. We are working on future releases, yes, but we consider bug fixing is as important, or even more, as new features additions.. so we try to make a balance between both of them.

Regarding the SpreadSheet Editor, you may find further information about it here
Would you like to install Feng Office Professional or Enterprise Edition in your servers? No problem! Read this article!

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »
You know, I don't like the subject line chosen for this thread, and the fact that it keeps showing up on this board.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'll change it to something more accurate and positive, as has always been -and we strive to make- the spirit of the forum.

What do you people think? Do you care?
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

Karl

• ICQ Messenger - 464979879
    • View Profile
Re: On the future of Feng Office
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 10:18:40 am »
Yes, we care!

But of course the big question is: Quo vadis, Feng Office?

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 10:24:33 am »
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

Markus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 04:56:08 am »
Hi conrado,
hi feng developer team!

As Francesco - a very assiduous forum-poster in your team  :) - mentioned in http://forums.fengoffice.com/index.php?topic=4310.msg21879#msg21879

Feng Office developers are quite busy right now improving tons of other things (including big changes in the performance),

I got very curious to get more information about next version of fengOffice:

which version is next?
1.7.3.2 (no, I am kidding  ;))
1.8 ....
or even 2.0  (exciting!! :o)

Will you implement a plugin-system?

Do you upgrade to ExtJS 3.3? (or do you even fancy version 4 -'Ext.regModel' 8))

What about unifying the different views (card view, edit view, etc.) for all objects in terms of layout and control elements - sometimes they are php-generated, sometimes ExtJS (I personally love their performance!)

Providing filter and sort-features on costumer properties?
At the moment only the subtype-feature for task-elements allows this functionality.

reporting based on user defined views instead of single tables?

... and all the other requests and ideas of the community...

Conrado, the whole community is suffering since your blog entry at New Years Eve.
What will come next?
How will the implementation of everyone's personal modifications go along with the next upgrade?

Please, give us a perspective!

Motivate us to keep reading the forum and the blog, to contribute in the open source project, to spread the words of a fantastic collaboration platform.

Please
markus
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:45:05 am by Markus »

Karl

• ICQ Messenger - 464979879
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 07:06:03 am »
Hi conrado,
hi feng developer team!...

What will come next?
How will the implementation of everyone's personal modifications go along with the next upgrade?

Motivate us to keep reading the forum and the blog, to contribute in the open source project, to spread the words of a fantastic collaboration platform.

Please
markus

Hi Markus,

thank you for your posting.

I second that!

Karl

jonnjonzzn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 11:36:22 am »
Hi conrado,
hi feng developer team!...

What will come next?

Please
markus

Hi Markus,

thank you for your posting.

I second that!

Karl

I am extremely interested in contributing to the project but I have no idea how to do so.  I don't want to go off and build additional functionality/fix issues if it is already being worked on in core.

Transparency.  The Open Source Way.  Code on-line.  Involve the community. Post summaries of internal meetings at Feng in regards to project direction.  Allow 3rd party developers at least access to a code repository to host modules (more on this later) and collaborate. I suppose actually the community could do this ourselves but I think  with Feng's direction and integration with core it would be more beneficial.  I guess the way I am wording this is exactly what I would like to see adjusted organizationally.  Instead of Feng AND "the community", let's just get to where it is "The Feng Community"!  I completely understand your need to generate revenue and drive internal priorities.  But please also allow the community to work in parallel or in conjunction with your efforts.  I think your pricing strategy is way off-base but that is another story.  I'd price it significantly lower and foster adoption, rapid market share growth, and growth in scaling of expenses.  There is a lot of competition out there in this market space.  Choose your battles wisely.  Once you've got em, they'll be hooked ;-)

Of particular interest to me:

-Formal API/Plugins structure!!! This would potentially allow to solve all the following items.

-Synchronization of contacts, calendar, and task via some protocol (ActiveSync, SyncML)

-Improve the time/reporting modules on the way to a more full-fledged billing/invoice module

-Performance, but it sounds as if the core development team is on this one already.  Great!

-Lots of minor tweaks to add little functionality here and there ( multiple e-mail/sms entries to use for reminders --in continuation of my "need this on my phone theme ;-)" ) The ability add another e-mail address such as the e-mail to text gateways provided by the wireless vendors would be fantastic and an easy way (I hope).  Example: <phone number>@vtext.com for Verizon Wireless would work and send me a text reminder.

I love the work you all have done with Feng Office and can not express how thankful I am for all the hard work, blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into the project to date.  Please.  Let us help you make it even better going forward.

-Mike

jonnjonzzn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 12:18:05 pm »
And I forgot the most important  piece of my previous post...

How can I help?   ;)

Please feel free to PM me and let's get started.

Murz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 01:10:06 pm »
I have the same aspirations, we use FengOffice on my company and very often we find some small bugs and can't wait when they was fixed in core, do the local patches by our hands.

And we already write very much small hacks, extensions, plugins for our needs. And I want to share those works for other users, and help to improve the core, but forum is not convenient place for this, I post some of them but much of people didn't see them.

Will be good to do the convenient place for posting patches, hacks, etc, but it is not easy to do.

At first will be good to see the svn (or git) repository in which we can see the activity of work (for example, like this: http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdepim.git&a=summary
and ability for users to create forks and his own repositories and blogs with feedback.

And will be good to do the web interface for translations, for example how this done in Drupal: http://drupaler.ru/translate/languages/ru/view - any user can recommend his translated version and any of the moderators can approve it or reject, and each user at any time can download the fresh version of translation.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:14:19 pm by Murz »

jonnjonzzn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 02:36:57 pm »
Regarding addons/modules, etc.  here is a good idea and thread:

http://forums.fengoffice.com/index.php?topic=4899.0

Cool.  Promising.

-Mike

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 07:39:30 pm »
Wow! Very glad to receive so much interest and feedback!

It is late friday night here and I want to go home (and I am riding the bike today), so I won't extend today, but will do so next week.

To get started:
  • 1.7.4 is already on Sourceforge. Formal announcement and release post will take place on Monday. Just finished  the draft.
  • Work on Feng Office 2.0 already underway. More on that soon.
  • Involving more developers: eager to do so. It is much more challenging than one would originally believe. We strive to do it, and yet we have to do so much better. At least we have adopted a new and a bit more formal methodology (for us): Scrum. We are still getting used to the changes, but already noticing the results. Hopefully a more formal methodology will help us on this front as well.
  • API? Yes! We're doing it. Not designed yet. Thus, no approximate release date possible yet.
  • More changes? Yes! 1.7.4 just out. 1.7.5/1.8 probably faster than previous. 2.0 I've mentioned.
  • Better communications: Believe me when I say I probably suffer the most from the fact that I have less time to communicate. The volume of information and work-flow is ever-increasing and overwhelming most of the time. That is why our latest forum-hero, Francisco, is lending a great hand.

More on this next week. Here, and on the blog.

Have a nice weekend! Cheers!