Author Topic: GTD-esque features!  (Read 8490 times)

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
GTD-esque features!
« on: February 08, 2010, 11:35:54 pm »
I've incorporated David Allen's "Getting Things Done" (GTD) into Feng Office by using the basic tags for context (@home, @office, @errand, @phone, @online) and for status (!wait, !action, !next, !someday) on my milestones and tasks.

How about considering working GTD features into Feng Office a bit more as an option for heavy-duty taskers?
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

CedricL

• View Profile
Re: GTD-esque features!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:43:19 pm »
I think that's a great idea. I'm also wondering how we could get something as simple as task status, potentially in the basic task data panel, with things like pending, started, waiting approval, validated, complete. Something that would be available anywhere as a drag list, instead of the incomplete/complete button I find a bit limitating at the moment.

krur.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:46:29 am »
any news about this topic?

i am quite to abandon FengOffice because it really lacks important task status management!!!

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:59:48 pm »
I've been slowly modifying my own GMTD (Getting Most Things Done) system to a modified GTD system. Not sure how or if I'd use Feng for it though, I've been concentrating on Exchange recently.

Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:09:29 pm »
Haven't read the book yet ...

Is task status all that is needed to use GTD methodology?

My only objection to adding task status is that it would make the interface and product features a little bit more "complicated". But we can add it as a configurable option.

Also, it is a feature that is not requested a lot, isn't it? ... correct me if you think it' s a "must have".

I could definitely use it ...

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 03:28:36 pm »
see this image for a quick explanation: http://www.bruceeisner.com/gtd_quickref.png
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 06:35:55 pm »
Well, I used GTD sometime ago and although I don't use it exactly as it is, I think it would be very useful for people that really use it, and won't harm people that don't use it.

Maybe it can be added as a plugin or so.
Gnumla
Tu sitio de Joomla! en español

WiZaxx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 06:55:16 am »
+1 here.

I would definitely use it.

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:30:34 am »
@Pet

Thanks for the diagram. Just printed it :)

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 04:29:49 pm »
+1 on the diagram  ;D
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 05:00:39 pm »
Cool thread and great initiative!

@Allen:, can you share with me an access to the installation where you have done that? I would love to take a look into it. Definitely interested in 'officializing' that (as well as the gantt module).

@Pet: Nice looking GTD diagram!  :D

@Sidenote: I've read David Allen's book, and highly recommend it.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 09:35:05 pm »
Well I guess I could, but really all I did was create those tags that I talked about up top...

I did it by creating one task in my Public workspace called "GTD Tags - DO NOT DELETE", and then I just assigned all of those tags to it so they would show up in the tag pane.

Then, I've gone and assigned them to all the tasks I want tracked by GTD.

It's really not much more than that.  :-[

gman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 02:49:21 pm »
What woudl it take to associate a task to more than one workspace as can be done with documents.

What I'm thinking is that I say have a project workspace and my Do It, Delegate It and Defer IT workspaces. I process all my tasks for a project and than also want to associate each tasks into my of my actionable workspaces. Than during the course of my day I will start in my Do It workspace and take action on all Do It tasks for each project. I than move to my Defer It worskpace and possibly move some items into my Do It workspace. I can than go to my project workspace and see my tasks for the specific project.

Does that make sense or am I way off base?

damendieta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 01:47:03 pm »
Hi, I'm using GTD as a business consultant and I help my clients to implement it into they organizations.
I have been trying to use FO as a HighTech tool to do it, but the way I see it, for use it as a good solution still needs some features, I think that are really important.

Task dependencies to know ¿Which task is actionable?, and a way to see only actionable tasks.

I have very large project templates (tasks and sub-tasks) some times from 1. to 1.4.4.3 and 2.4.3.4 and 5.3.4.2  so, it's really confusing if I create one template with all the task I need in one project, but is really time wasting to add a new task every time and don't use templates. The solution. Task dependencies. So 1.1 depends on 1 and 1.2 depends on 1.1. I create the template with tens of task but are shown only a few, the ones with no dependencies "1", because only "1" is actionable. I complete "1" and "1.1" is shown because 1.1 is actionable now.

A panel to see the "new task assigned to you" in the main view.
The main problem I see with FO is that if you can't know when a college gives you a task ( I know, you can use tags) but will be better if you have a panel that shows you the new tasks that other users create and assign to you.

A panel so see the tasks you assigned to other users and have been completed and the ones not completed.
If you delegate, you need to control it. So, what about a panel that shows you the tasks completed and the ones that need to be completed yet.

A board to see important comments in the main view with "per workspace" view and "per user" view.

For example: if I want to say to the people working in "project b" that there is a last minute meeting, I use the board in the "project B"  workspace, but, if I need to say something to a college, I use a "per user board", so no matter in which workspace is he working at the time, he is going to see it. Also, it can be shown in a pop up.

Sync with desktop aplications like thunderbird, outlook or even evolution.

Well, just some Ideas.

And, greate job in FengOffice. You are the best.

damendieta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 01:55:35 pm »
I forgot.

In the object view you can see the "tags" of that object and I think that maybe you can add a way to eliminate the tag from that view, so you don't need to edit the object to change the tags.

¿Why? Simple, because that way you can use tags with GTD and do it faster.

For exampe, something is "urgent" only until you do it, ones done, by definition can't be urgent. So, you do it, you erase the "urgent" tag.

Some task is "actionable" only until you do it...

By.