Author Topic: Is Feng Office going anywhere?  (Read 24346 times)

interjinn

• View Profile
Re: Is Feng Office going anywhere?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 02:10:19 pm »
I can see your perspective now that you explain it. I guess it depends on your use-case. For instance it sounds like your use case is site based and what features should be available to those site trees (if I understand your explanation correctly). Whereas my use-case is client oriented with features being enabled/disabled depending on the client. Clients in my case would find it odd for features to pop in and out of existence depending on what workspace they click on  ;D

gman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 02:15:14 pm »
I think there is a argument for both. Some may want module activation being client based and some workspace based. I think that workspace based might be easier to implement in the current code base, but I could be wrong.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 03:51:28 pm »
@Raboof: Thanks for the thoughtful and the kind words. Developer community is indeed one that we should care an cherish ever more. Means to help developers are not further developed not because of a lack of interest (there is great interest in our part), but more on a lack of resources. That, fortunately, seems to be rapidly changing.  ;)

@Interjinn & Gman: Both "features" are not only good suggestions, but already on our "imaginary roadmap". Both make total sense, and should be making their way into future versions, hopefully very soon.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

gman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 04:03:11 pm »
As I said, I keep trying other systems (recently tried OpenAtrium) but always find myself coming back to FengOffice. Keep up the great work. There is no perfect system out there. I find that FengOffice simply works well for my needs and I imagine the needs of a great number of users.

interjinn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 04:06:33 pm »
@Interjinn & Gman: Both "features" are not only good suggestions, but already on our "imaginary roadmap". Both make total sense, and should be making their way into future versions, hopefully very soon.

That's great news... and now --since we have your attention-- any hints on what the feature is like that was hinted about in another thread with respect to "folders" for documents?  ;D

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 05:15:54 pm »
That's great news... and now --since we have your attention-- any hints on what the feature is like that was hinted about in another thread with respect to "folders" for documents?  ;D

My attention is a very ephemeral sneaky little bug. :P

I don't know which particular thread you are referring to, but only the fact of hinting at a feature that is not released yet is already bad enough for me to do, because I hate to generate expectations and then not meeting them on time.  :)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

interjinn

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 05:25:23 pm »
I was referring to the following thread:

http://forums.fengoffice.com/index.php?topic=273.0

But I'll yield to your argument of not wanting to raise expectations :)

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 06:52:15 pm »
I was referring to the following thread:

http://forums.fengoffice.com/index.php?topic=273.0

But I'll yield to your argument of not wanting to raise expectations :)
See, that thread is from 2008! I am so mad at myself! :)

gman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 09:48:17 pm »
In looking at the folders thread, I see someone mentioned SharePoint. In essense SharePoint and other document management systems use a folder paradigm to manage what is in the database or in the file system. As a SharePoint user and as someone who has tested other systems, I know this is a nice feature. But folders are not the only way to go.

In my asking about the ability to select modules for a workspace you would use a different paradigm in FengOffice. You would use the workspace with documents module as the folder replacement. It probably would be preferred if you could create a template document workspace to be used when creating the new document workspace.