Author Topic: Issue tracker for OpenGoo development  (Read 10348 times)

msauter

• View Profile
Issue tracker for OpenGoo development
« on: November 08, 2008, 04:43:58 am »
This is not a feature request for OpenGoo itself but for it's development process: Submitting bugs by a forum is not ideal, neither for the submitter nor for the developer.

There are some very nice open source issue trackers out there:

http://www.redmine.org
http://trac.edgewall.org
http://www.thebuggenie.com
http://www.clockingit.com

Why not make the introduction of a development platform part of your aim to become more structured after the release of version 1.0?

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: Issue tracker for OpenGoo development
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 08:45:58 am »
We have been planning on using OpenGoo itself to report bugs. It is what we are using in the development team but we were planning on creating a public installation for developers. We were too busy until now to do it but we will probably get it online next week.

What do you think about using OpenGoo as an issue tracker? Our experience with it has been very positive. If someone finds a feature is missing we may just add it and not only improve our development process but also our product.

We may need to somehow synchronize or import this forums user database so as not to require everyone to create a second account to report a bug.

man2004

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 10:23:31 am »
I second the suggestion to use Opengoo as issue tracker because (1) it is a great tool and (2) it can help us to spot any short comings of Opengoo

msauter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:16:53 pm »
The issue trackers I mentioned above have more features than tasks in OpenGoo. For a project of that size I would recommend a system that is more focused on bugtracking. But it could work with OpenGoo, too.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 05:29:17 pm »
I vote for OpenGoo.  :)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

technomensch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:19:20 pm »
We may need to somehow synchronize or import this forums user database so as not to require everyone to create a second account to report a bug.

I don't see that it will be possible to automate this.  This is probably going to be a manual process.  I would be happy to work on this.  Just show me where I can start moving stuff to.

Marc

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 10:57:03 pm »
We are making little progress on this. I hope we have the development OpenGoo ready for next week. I will try to make an attempt to make a script to import users from this forum into the OpenGoo installation, but if I fail your help will be appreciated.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 02:30:58 pm »
As I should have guessed, it isn't possible to import the user data directly from this forum, because the passwords are encrypted. We'll have to either create a registration page or create users on demand, and for now have to deal with multiple logins.

The best solution, though not easy at all, would be to create some sort of Singe SIgn On for all webapps in opengoo.org, which includes Simple Machines Forum, Doku Wiki, OpenGoo and maybe WordPress (with Subscriber roles).

msauter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 09:52:08 am »
A single sign-on is VERY desirable - but personally I have no idea how to achieve this.

rportinga

• View Profile
    • Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 10:49:02 am »
A single sign-on is VERY desirable - but personally I have no idea how to achieve this.

It can be done, but you need to pick your "home base", for example the forums.
Then you have to modify the code in the other apps, like Wiki or WordPress.. change the code that uses their own registration to read the tables from the forums.

Alternately, create an entirely new userbase table(s) and modify any app you use to use those new tables.

We did the former and then migrated to the latter for a group of sites I run that run multiple instances of PHPbb and FlashChat all using a single, unified userbase.

don't ask me for specifics tho, as I'm not the guy that did the code work.
Rob Portinga
Bauer Bros. Construction, Inc.

msauter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 07:01:59 pm »
OK - so let the programmers go ahead... ;-)

Pontiac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 10:58:37 am »
I don't think it'd be a good idea to use OpenGoo as an issue tracker for two reasons.

First, this is supposed to be a PIM tool, not a development tool.  I have no desire to have a tracking system in my office suite.

Second, I have my OpenGoo hidden behind a firewall which requires VPN connectivity to get to it.  No way I'm going to allow that particular system to go outside the LAN to grab content from a foreign sight, trusted or not (And its not meant to sound that I don't trust OpenGoo Devs or their site.  Personal information is stored on that machine)

Going with an external Tracker or Source Control service like Source Forge or even home-brews would probably be the better idea.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 12:01:30 pm »
Hi, when we talk about using OpenGoo as an issue tracker we don't mean using everyone's OpenGoo installation to track issues, but a specific OpenGoo installation created for developers. If we went with this decision, an OpenGoo user wanting to report a bug in our OpenGoo issue tracker would either have to log in to our OpenGoo installation or use some form in OpenGoo's site that we would create to let users submit bugs to our OpenGoo installation. We are not talking of messing with anyones installation so don't worry about it. :)

tachion2k

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 07:25:20 am »
Hi ignacio,

Is there a deveopment version of feng office that includes bug tracking? Would it be possible for me to get this version?

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 10:59:07 am »
Hi ignacio,

Is there a deveopment version of feng office that includes bug tracking? Would it be possible for me to get this version?

It is not being developed.