Author Topic: Opengoo restrictions  (Read 2758 times)

cz231

• View Profile
Opengoo restrictions
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:30:31 pm »
Hi,

Let me start off by saying I am amazed by this piece of open source software. It truly is amazing. I was looking around the site, and I couldn't find anything about the specifics of what you can and can't do with this. Can you remove the Powered by opengoo on the bottom if your company will not allow another link on the bottom? I mean I think since it's open source you should in most cases, but once in a while that won't swing with the specific project or company.

Also, if you're a freelancer, can you charge clients to use a copy of it if you host it on your server with their site?

Thanks

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
Re: Opengoo restrictions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 02:15:18 pm »
I'm fairly certain that you can not charge for use of openGoo whether you're hosting it or not.  That would violate the GPL lic., but maybe you can find something in the wiki. 

Now that said, there is nothing to keep you from charging for hosting and administration of opengoo.

As for removal of the logo look in application/layouts/website.php line 114

thek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:17:11 am »
Please, clarify a bit more.
I know I can't sell OpenGoo as a product. But as I understand I should be able to charge for my work for helping customer to modify, install and administrate OpenGoo. Does it matter if OpenGoo is running on customerĀ“s server or if it is running on my server (and I host it for customer). Am I OK or do I violate any license?

Best Regards
/thek

sinbad

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 07:25:45 pm »
Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 01:05:43 pm »
Just a quick correction: Feng Office's license is Affero GPL3 (or AGPL3). You can read it on the license.txt file included with Feng Office or here: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/agpl-3.0.html

The difference with GPL3 is that it forces you to share the source code even if offered as a hosted service, which plain GPL does not.