Author Topic: Mass E-Mailing / Mailing List  (Read 5026 times)

Fabianb

• View Profile
Mass E-Mailing / Mailing List
« on: October 15, 2009, 11:27:30 pm »
Hi all,

I was wondering if it would be possible to implement some sort of mailing list / mass e-mailing functionality. Let's say I have an user group called "Alumni". When organising Alumni Events I would like to send out an email (personalised i.e. Dear James, ...) to this particular user group.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
F

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
Re: Mass E-Mailing / Mailing List
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:04:18 am »
mailing lists seem like a reasonable request
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 12:46:50 pm »
that would be great.  For my company, I'm actually transitioning into opengoo from vtiger for use as a CMR.  We have no use for any of the sales/commission driven stuff that most CMRs revolve around so opengoo is perfect.

A mailing list would be an awesome way for me to send newsletters or updates / alerts to my clients.

Fabianb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 12:33:35 am »
I have just discovered a mass-mailer feature under "Administration". However, this is just plain text, does not allow external sign-up, and does not allow personalised e-mails. The latter should actually not be too hard to implement. One could create placeholders e.g. {firstname}, which would then trigger the script to pull out use information.

Just ideas ...

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 11:39:29 am »
yeah the mass mailer under Administration will only allow you to send emails to your users, not to your contacts.

But I agree, the technology is there, it doesn't seem like it would take much to get it to work.

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:32:15 pm »
Yes that "mass mailer" isn't the most useful thing as a2opinion says, what we need is an proper mailing list or newsletter type module.
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

Fabianb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 02:59:32 am »
Agree. What is the file name of the current mass-mailing script? I might do some coding myself over the next few weeks.

Cheers,
F

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 01:52:55 pm »
It is in file 'application/controllers/AdministrationController.class.php', function 'tool_mass_mailer'. It uses class Notifier ('application/models/notifier/Notifier.class.php') to send email.

I don't know how that script would behave with a big number of recipients. If you are having trouble to send too many emails maybe the solution is to queue the emails and send them through cron instead of sending them on the browser request. This functionality of queing emails is already implemented in OpenGoo and is used when you enable the 'Send notifications through cron' cron event is enabled. Check function Notifier::queueEmail. Cron is in charge of invoking Notifier::sendQUeuedEmails that actually sends the emails.

Regards.

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 03:51:20 pm »
Sponsorship opportunity for this feature can be found here.