Author Topic: The Personal Workspace Can't be Deleted - why not?  (Read 6954 times)

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
The Personal Workspace Can't be Deleted - why not?
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:30:32 am »
One of the first things I did was create a bunch of project workspaces, and having no use for a "personal" workspace I tried to delete the user_workspace that was created upon install, but it gave me the error "The Personal Workspace Can't be Deleted".  I'm wondering why not?

The "All" workspace is already the top level, so deleting personal should not matter.  I know I can rename it to something else, but why is deleting it a limitation?

cheers
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: The Personal Workspace Can't be Deleted - why not?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 02:49:48 pm »
It was just a design decision. A user's personal workspace is where new objects are placed by default, when you have the All workspace selected. This means that by default, objects you create are only accessible by you, so that you don't accidentally share an object. It can't be deleted because it's needed by the system to place those objects.

Another way we could have implemented it would be to allow objects not to have a workspace, but these objects would be visible by all users or none, because permissions are defined by workspaces (or we would have to also change how permissions work). And another way would be to allow setting the default workspace for a user. This one may be a better choice, but we think it's low priority to change it now. Can you think of another alternative?

We are currently designing OpenGoo 2.0, and it will see lots of changes on how objects are organized. This issue of where to place objects by default will be considered.

Pet

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 03:13:21 pm »
Thanks for the explanation.

Originally I did not understand that the All area was not a usable workspace itself.  I think that allowing the user to define the default workspace is the best option, since over time a person's needs may change. In the meantime, I will simply let this workspace stay empty and unused.  (is there a way to hide it?)
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

Number8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 06:52:44 pm »
In the meantime, I will simply let this workspace stay empty and unused.  (is there a way to hide it?)
If  you can't hide it, you can at least rename it so it sorts to the bottom of the list of workspaces...

Pet

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 06:13:21 pm »
That is indeed what I did #8, thanks for the suggestion!

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:14:03 pm »
@Ignacio: This may be something to consider before 2.0, as in the cases here it just looks ugly.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

bleeuwen

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 03:29:46 pm »
In 1.5.3 it is still nog possible to remove personal workspace, however the user has been coupeld to another workspace and the personal workspace is empty.

Renaming is still the only option.

What happens when I remove it from the database manually??

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 05:14:09 pm »
While you may not be able to delete a personal workspace, you DO have the option of NOT CREATING ONE for new users...

I suppose Ben Franklin might say "A workspace not created is a workspace deleted"  or something  :P

And yeah.. I would totally just rename them and their permissions if they were created so that they were useful workspaces...

bleeuwen

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 03:24:05 pm »
Hi a2opinion

it would be nice to rename the useless personal workspaces. But they still remain personal workspaces, and are treated differently form normal workspaces.

Or do ypu know a way to change a personal workspace into a normal workspace??

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 03:21:59 pm »
hmmn... I suppose I figured that the workspace would work the same if you changed the permissions and the name...

In what way are personal workspaces treated differently? I know that emails and imported events do not automatically go there.. 

I suppose I will have to do some experimentation.

bleeuwen

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 01:21:00 pm »
Sure that personal workspaces are treated differently.

In what way, I do not know. I hope you will find out in your investigation

allenlook

• Volunteer Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - sii_lookal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • SI Group, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 08:07:40 pm »
Sorry to reply to a topic that is a few months old, but how about creating a new workspace called "Public", then when you create new users, assigning this as their default workspace?

I tested it enough to know that it works while you are creating multiple users, but I don't know if it would work for all usages - worth a shot though.

This is using 1.6.2.
I am a volunteer moderator.  Any statements, opinions or observations I contribute are solely mine and are not necessarily shared by the makers of Feng Office.