Author Topic: Folders in the files-module  (Read 3541 times)

aenor

• View Profile
Folders in the files-module
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:46:38 pm »
It would be great to have folders in the files module.

Besides easier ordering all unziped files can get in one folder.

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
Re: Folders in the files-module
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 05:42:29 am »
Some form of organizing files is currently under consideration by the devs. PM me if you are interested in financially contributing to this.
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:48:08 pm »
Instead of folders, if you think of the Tags in the same way that gmail has Labels then you can tag any of your object with preset tags, or create new ones on the fly.

When you want to hunt down just objects (we'll say Files) in a certain "Folder" you just go to the "All" workspace, click on the Documents Tab and then click on your "Folder Name" in the Tags Panel.

Edit:  And I just thought of something, objects can have multiple tags, while a file can only go in one folder, so you would have to know where to look.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:51:57 pm by a2opinion »

aenor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 11:03:07 am »
Instead of folders, if you think of the Tags in the same way that gmail has Labels then you can tag any of your object with preset tags, or create new ones on the fly.

When you want to hunt down just objects (we'll say Files) in a certain "Folder" you just go to the "All" workspace, click on the Documents Tab and then click on your "Folder Name" in the Tags Panel.

Edit:  And I just thought of something, objects can have multiple tags, while a file can only go in one folder, so you would have to know where to look.
You are right, that is really an option.
It would be fine if I would be able to automatically tag all files with a certain tag when unziping (the .zip's name?). That would be a first step.
But I still prefer to have folders, as this is a different layer. It enables me hierarchical organisation of files.

a2opinion

• Christian
    • View Profile
    • A Second Opinion
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 02:46:16 pm »
yeah, no hierarchical.. though Gmail doesn't offer that either...

I guess it comes down to a preference thing, what your used to, and how...

Now if you could arrange your tags in the tags panel with a hierarchy then I think that would solve both of our preferences