Author Topic: Some ideas  (Read 7326 times)

sorin

• View Profile
Some ideas
« on: October 30, 2008, 10:30:46 pm »
Hello there, you're doing a great job!

I have some ideas for future versions:
- system should let you choose the starting day of the week
- you should specify the working days of the week; should also affect reported due days (+ if you select monday-friday, you shouldn't be allowed to add task/event/etc sunday)
- calendar events should have a type option (meeting, birthday, phone call, etc) with small icon in calendar view and/or overview list
- when adding an event in calendar you should be allowed to select a period (event start/end hour)
- overview panels should have a close button (the user is asked if this is permanent or temporary change - permanent selected changes the preferences)
- it will be very interesting if we could mark the tasks/emails/files/notes/etc as important/to do/urgent + correspondent color (some default values, but also editable - like Mozilla Thunderbird, tags)
- in calendar do you consider useful a Today button ?

Best wishes!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:47:47 pm by sorin »

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
Re: Some ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 01:10:01 pm »
Good ideas.

Some are already implemented. Some can be achieved using Workspaces/Tags combinations.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

sorin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 02:05:52 pm »
It's great you are considering this ideas.

I am rather new OpenGoo user, but i have some experience (internet, webdesign), and i find this situation a little bit awkward, because if i didn't find those ideas already implemented, this means they are not easy to find or understand, and contradictory to your goal: "make the best Web Office. Period." I posted those ideas to fill a gap (at least that's what i felt), to help you (and myself through you) fulfill your goal.

If there are some ideas that you need more details, please ask, i will answer them. Maybe i didn't saw them, or maybe you didn't understood right.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 03:35:09 pm »
- system should let you choose the starting day of the week
This is not implemented.

- you should specify the working days of the week; should also affect reported due days (+ if you select monday-friday, you shouldn't be allowed to add task/event/etc sunday)
Due dates are specified by absolute date, so having defined work days wouldn't affect due dates. In the case of repeating events, it would be useful to be able to define events that repeat say every tuesday and thursday, but anyway this could be achived with two events that repeat weekly.

- calendar events should have a type option (meeting, birthday, phone call, etc) with small icon in calendar view and/or overview list
This is not implemented but can partially be done with tags (a tag for birthdays, one for meetings, etc) though no icon is available on the calendar, or it could be done with workspaces (one workspace for each of those properties with a different color each), though you would lose the ability to associate a meeting with a workspace, for example.

- when adding an event in calendar you should be allowed to select a period (event start/end hour)
You can choose the starting time in the weekly and daily views, by clicking at the time you want to add the event. You can't do this on the monthly view. I agree that it would be nice to have more options on the quick add.

- overview panels should have a close button (the user is asked if this is permanent or temporary change - permanent selected changes the preferences)
It would be nice. Currently you can choose which widgets you are shown on your user preferences (Account / Edit Preferences).

- it will be very interesting if we could mark the tasks/emails/files/notes/etc as important/to do/urgent + correspondent color (some default values, but also editable - like Mozilla Thunderbird, tags)
Again, not implemented but can be partially achieved with tags (you can tag an event as "important") and then filter the important ones.

There was a today button before, but we removed it because some people expected it to take you to the daily view of "today" and others expected it to keep the current view but take you to that date. You now have the same functionality but two clicks away, by clicking in the "Pick a date" toolbar menu and then clicking on Today.

Your ideas are very good, and of course this partial solutions I gave you aren't as usable as what you suggested, but we won't be able to implement them soon as we have already lots of work assigned for the following weeks. If you or someone you know can help us develop those functionalities you would be welcome to do so. I really wish we could quickly implement all the suggestions we are getting through this forum, because most (if not all) of them are really good and aligned with our objectives.

If you think I didn't quite understand any of your ideas please don't hesitate to clear it up.

sorin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 08:46:48 pm »
I am sorry, i am truly sorry  ::) i thought you gave a quick answer (really not your type considering other posts) and i felt left behind + a harsh day = that message.

You got them right...

Thou i have 2 small things to add :)

Due dates are specified by absolute date, so having defined work days wouldn't affect due dates. In the case of repeating events, it would be useful to be able to define events that repeat say every tuesday and thursday, but anyway this could be achived with two events that repeat weekly.

I was trying to say that it would be interesting to have a system option that will define the working days of the week. Monday to Friday, Tuesday to Saturday, etc so the entire application will display/add things only between those days in the week (adding tasks, viewing tasks, calendar, etc will be affected). For companies mostly, but the personal calendar could be spared.

You can choose the starting time in the weekly and daily views, by clicking at the time you want to add the event. You can't do this on the monthly view. I agree that it would be nice to have more options on the quick add.

My bad here.. i was trying to say it would be interesting to have something more like Google Clendar, adding an event while dragging the mouse on the calendar you could define a period. After defining the event you could also play with the event period (see Google Calendar). You could add events quicker.

There was a today button before, but we removed it because some people expected it to take you to the daily view of "today" and others expected it to keep the current view but take you to that date. You now have the same functionality but two clicks away, by clicking in the "Pick a date" toolbar menu and then clicking on Today.

Check Google Calendar, i think their solution generates no confusion. When you are in week view and press Today, it will show the current week, or in month view it will show the current month. It will also be nice to have a button Agenda, that will display next events in a list, like Google Calendar.

Again, you are doing a great job!

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:05:39 am »
Mine was a short answer. Acio's was the long/nice answer. Acio is the poet, plus a nice guy. I am the bad guy.  :P

Seriously now, we love to receive ideas, feature requests, questions, and all the feedback the community sends. Sometimes we are on a hurry, like I have been these past few days, and that is why sometimes we are quick (or slow, or both) on our answers.

We do read every post and take note of every idea/feature request. Many times we receive ideas that we have already considered, and most of the times we share the hopes to add the requested features. It's just a matter of having to focus on a smaller set than we would like, in order to deliver a good enough product.

Thanks for your understanding.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.