Author Topic: OpenGoo 1.6 BETA 2 released  (Read 9359 times)

ignacio

• View Profile
OpenGoo 1.6 BETA 2 released
« on: November 02, 2009, 05:09:43 pm »
Warning: This version is not suitable for production environments.

A new release of OpenGoo 1.6 is out. BETA 2 fixes some bugs from version 1.6 BETA.

For details check here.

Download here.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:12:15 pm by ignacio »

paulscallanjr

• MSN Messenger - paulscallanjr@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: OpenGoo 1.6 BETA 2 released
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:01:11 am »
 ;D  Have not had any issues with Beta2, so far.  It looks to be very stable even under heavy tasking load.

Only thing I can't figure out a way around is using the create new document feature... I am trying to find some method to substitute the resulting .html into a .rtf or .doc.  Anybody out there already know something I don't?  I am testing this for production usage in a law firm and, of course, they need formattable "documents" for pleadings, etc.  The editor that creates the new documents seems to only allow .html and related saves.  Any hints, tricks, and/or tweaks would be appreciated.

Other than that, this is a great app!
Sincerely,

Paul Scallan, Jr., MCSA
paulscallanjr@homail.com

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 03:24:33 pm »
For rtf, doc, docx etc you won't be able to use the built-in editor. It requires an upload of said document.
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

paulscallanjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:00:11 pm »
Yes, I realize that completely.  I guess what I was really trying to  get across was a feature request couched in the form of a reply to another reply exclaiming the awesome virtues of a new beta version.  :)  I am going to experiment with that feature with some code to see if I can make that work out as needed.  I'll post the results.... give it a few days at least.

Anyways, its great, I just wish users could create new rtf or doc documents instead of html ones.... that would be the icing on the cake (but make no doubt the cake is good too).

73's
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:02:09 pm by paulscallanjr »
Sincerely,

Paul Scallan, Jr., MCSA
paulscallanjr@homail.com

eskim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 02:34:52 pm »
What is the status of GelSheet project, is it usable in alpha version??

paulscallanjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 12:34:27 am »
I will invest time and money in developing the ability to create rtf or doc from OpenGoo.  Anyone else?  Think about it.... if your business creates documents that need to be formattable... and OpenGoo fits (as it defintiely does) all other aspects for the best of the best in "web office" wouldn't you like your users to be able to use the OpenGoo app to create the docs they need w/o need for any 3rd party app..... no problemas with with creating doc in Word, then saving, then uploading, etc,. etc.  Honestly, though, I am out of my league.

? for the OpenGoo admins and/or FengOffice admins:  can this be done?  If so, what is the expected cost?  Law firms can be and should be a a major outlet for your app.  But, again, the html doc (create new document) is not customizable enough (easily) for mainstream usage.  Help point me in the right direction.  I added a comment about lettting OpenGoo access and manage a shared file folder on the server that contains the docs one needs to acces through OpenGoo... that'd work.... its the upload clunky-iness that is bad.... other than that... OpenGoo is mainstream ready.

Also, again, OpenGoo runs great on Win32 and Win64 platform (make sure you use MS version of FastCGI and wincache for php).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:37:26 am by paulscallanjr »
Sincerely,

Paul Scallan, Jr., MCSA
paulscallanjr@homail.com

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 11:04:40 am »
Hello Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions and ideas. They are very valuable for us. As you mentioned, we would like to work with you and simplify the adoption of OpenGoo and Feng Office in law firms.

I assume that you are interested in being able to edit, import and export Doc&Rtf documents. Am I right?

Do you have a clear idea of which are the formatting options that our editor currently misses?

paulscallanjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 11:52:14 am »
Thank you for the reply.  To start, most law firms have files/folders categorized by case name or file number.  These files/folders would be located on the server already (the same one that OpenGoo) would be on.  A simple way to have OG "look" at the files and be able to manipulate them directly would be optimum.  Something like the function of this:  http://www.bigresource.com/scripts/detail/45597/

An example document is attached.  Note, its Legal sized, but they do use letter sized for correspondence.  They need to be able to have headers/footers/footnotes.  The tables need to be able to be more flexible and be able to "borderless" (i.e. the grid does not show (unless selected to show).

We tested the use of the html editor already built into OG.  They found that they had to continually save and open the document to get it formatted right... there is no "ruler" in the editor... so they had major issues with having the end result document looking the way they needed it to.  Margins are especially important.  Yes, I realize that can be set by HTML code, but the users are lawyers, paralegals, and secretaries....  I will post more info on this topic later today.
Sincerely,

Paul Scallan, Jr., MCSA
paulscallanjr@homail.com

paulscallanjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 12:04:37 am »
 ;D JUST ANOTHER NOTE:  I have tested OG extensively on Windows Server 2003 and 2008.  The best methodology I have found is using Microsoft's Web Platform Installer v2.  Get it here:  http://www.microsoft.com/web/Downloads/platform.aspx  then during install, configure it to install:  FastCGI 1.5 beta, URLScan (for added security), Wincache for PHP, and Moodle (so it'll load MySQL and PHP).  Once installed, just unzip the OG folder (I recommend v1.6b2) into the inetpub folder.  Next, use IIS Admin Manager (found under Control Panel > Administrative Tools) to convert the OpenGoo folder into an application.  If using Windows Server 2008:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb763173.aspx   or if using Windows Server 2003:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zwk103ab.aspx

Good idea to download latest version of PHPmyadmin and do the same as you did for OpenGoo.  Remember to edit the config.inc file to change the password values to reflect what you used setting up MySQL during the Microsoft Web Installer dialogs.

This setup runs quicker than Ubuntu server setup I tried.  Both on Intel Quad cpus with 6GB ram.  You can setup any custom permissions, etc using IIS Admin manager also.  

If anybody wants a more detailed Win32 or Win64 setup instruction procedure, let me know... I'll take the time to document it.  

JUST A BIG NOTE:  If you are reading this post in this forum for the first time and your looking for a bad boy web office that meets a lot of needs and is decently supported by a user and developer base... then you are definitely in the right place.  Download a copy and try it out.  I trust you'll like it, just like so many more of us did.  See you in the boards!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 07:50:42 pm by paulscallanjr »
Sincerely,

Paul Scallan, Jr., MCSA
paulscallanjr@homail.com

sverdlov

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 12:34:54 pm »
http://imagebin.ca/view/ulC_of.html

As you can see on this image, ALL of the links on top disappeared. I even deleted the whole db & opengoo folder, made a CLEAN install,,... still the same???

What's wrong? you really decided to remove this functionality?

paulscallanjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 12:39:30 pm »
It's not a bug, nor a removal of functionality.  You have something wierd going on.  I suggest you move this topic to bug forum, but generally, I would ask first what os, web platform, etc your using... Next, try creating a seperate DB and install a side-by-side install of opengoo and see if the problem persists.  If so, re-download another copy of the installation package.  Maybe the problem came in during a corrupted download or decompression.  Also, you can check to see if all the images are there:  ..\public\assets\themes\default\images

Also, have you tried clearing your browser's cache?  Maybe some wierd problem not picking up the images or something.  I cannot see how that would happen, but who knows.

Hit me on PM if your still having issues and I'll try to walk you through.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:45:02 pm by paulscallanjr »
Sincerely,

Paul Scallan, Jr., MCSA
paulscallanjr@homail.com

sverdlov

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 12:56:33 pm »
the  links reappeared after several logins. So yes, definitely a bug. I'm using linux, host is on linux... nothing special, never had this issue with previous releases.

paulscallanjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 01:00:02 pm »
Well, don't know about it being a bug, yet, but I am glad you got it resolved.  What flavor of Linux (just curious) are you (your host) using?

I have only tested OG on Ubuntu and Windows 7 Enterprise, Server 2003 and Server 2008.   I haven't run into any issues with any release since 1.4.  I am currently using this 1.6beta2.
Sincerely,

Paul Scallan, Jr., MCSA
paulscallanjr@homail.com

paulscallanjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 03:10:25 pm »
On the create new document issue... the editor in eyeOS seems to be exactly customizable enough table-wise, etc for law firms.... TinyMCE  I will spend the next week or so trying to substitute TinyMCE for CKEditor in OG.  Will update as I can.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:03:44 am by paulscallanjr »
Sincerely,

Paul Scallan, Jr., MCSA
paulscallanjr@homail.com

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 03:34:40 pm »
About sverdlov issue, it must have been a cache issue. There was a change on how configuration options are sent to the GUI (including module enabled/disabled status).