Author Topic: CakePHP Framework  (Read 7984 times)

Martz

• View Profile
    • Email
CakePHP Framework
« on: December 12, 2008, 08:40:32 am »
I've just discovered GpenGoo thanks to someone posting a link on slashdot ;)

I grabbed the source code and was pleased to see it's PHP with an MVC architecture, however have you considered using a framework such as CakePHP? I realise porting over the codebase would be an issue but it's something I would love to help out with.

OpenGoo beta looks great so far and has some very impressive features, standardizing on a framework could potentially drawn in some other CakePHP developers etc.

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
Re: CakePHP Framework
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:24:10 pm »
Porting to Cake PHP is really an issue that would stop development of new features for a long period of time. We would love to have it done but, at the moment, it does not seem possible (at least with the resources we have).
However, it seems like a very good idea to consider for OpenGoo 2.0.
Thank you,
Marcos

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 01:55:02 pm »
We noticed the link in slashdot.

Big fan here.  :D

Cake PHP is cool, and certainly would be worth at least considering its inclusion. As Marcos says, we are more focused on improving features on top of the current application.

That said, I would make some time myself to help out anyone interested in going forward with this. Thinking out loud, we should start out with an analysis of costs/benefits of moving to Cake (vs staying with current framework, vs other alternatives).

Glad you like OpenGoo so far.  :)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

bayonian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:50:51 am »
Right. Switching to another framework will consume a lot of time and effort as well as cost , thus it  will hinder the current development of the new features.

Does not OpenGoo has its own platform ? (Forgive me, If I asked the wrong question because I'm not a programmer)  :)

Edited Note : This might be the answer to my question

http://blog.opengoo.org/?p=4#comment-8
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:58:52 am by bayonian »

man2004

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 02:59:51 pm »
Hi,

Both Opengoo and ProjectPier uses ActiveCollab as the base framework. Recently PP development seems not progressing well and there are some posts talking about the limitation of ActiveCollab framework (see one of the post http://www.projectpier.org/node/1331#comment-2907)

Have you guys faced similiar problem in introducing new features? I really love OG and I hope that this issue will not be a bottleneck to this great piece of software.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:15:48 am »
We released over 30 versions since version 0.1 (which already incorporated the last activeCollab open source release), putting a lot of effort on each one.

Did 'new features' not get noticed?  :'(
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

man2004

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 12:24:59 pm »
Hi,

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate very much in the rich features introduced and the super speed of development. Just afraid that the existing framework will become bottleneck.

Have you guys overcome the limitations raised in PP?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:31:53 pm by man2004 »

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 03:29:47 pm »
That was just my way of telling you that we do not have an issue with this, and that activeCollab is already a small portion of the OpenGoo suite.  :) Ilija's work (the Author of activeCollab) was brilliant, and starting off using activeCollab was a great decision.

One note though: it wasn't our intent to fork activeCollab. We liked its features and architecture, so we decided to build on top of that, instead of starting from scratch. It just happened that activeCollab went close-sourced right away.

I also had some conversations with people at ProjectPier, but we had different goals for each project, so unfortunately never got to join forces.

Martin Sauter, a very relevant and important contributor of the OpenGoo project, also did some work with ProjectPier prior to joining OpenGoo. We owe OpenGoo's excellent manual to him. So, in a way, some of the ProjectPier effort has also been recycled here.