Author Topic: More...  (Read 3104 times)

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
More...
« on: September 25, 2009, 02:58:32 pm »
Just a small usability suggestion: in the Action menu of any item like a document, Move to Trash is the last visible menu item, then it says "More..."  When I click more, only a couple of items appear.  Having "More..." seems completely redundant, maybe it would be useful if there were 50 menu items that scrolled off the bottom of the screen, but to click on that just to make two extra menu items appear seems completely unnecessary.

cheers
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: More...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 03:20:09 pm »
You have to draw the line somewhere. Having many actions makes it harder to find the action you are looking for, and takes space moving other information like the "Properties" panel down, so the idea is to hide some actions you don't use too often behind the "More" link.

Which would be the best number of actions to show is arguable, maybe we should show some more actions. How many would you suggest? Maybe it should depend on screen resolution?

At least you will never have to click on "More" to show only one action because in that case the remaining action is always shown :)

Pet

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 09:54:14 pm »
Perhaps for me, because I have lots of screen real estate (1680x1050), there is more than enough room for everything on the right even with all of the actions shown. Did not occur to me that it would be an issue on smaller screens (we have you to thank for thinking of this for us!)  I've only seen "More..." reveal a maximum of 2 more actions, is there a place where it reveals more?  If 2 more is all there are, then I'd say remove it completely.

This is what I see for documents (watch, animated gif):

Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 04:30:17 pm »
LOL.

Depending on plugins you may have, and permissions your user has, the amount of actions will vary, and on each release the amount of actions will tend to grow. What could easily be done is add a config option to enable / disable this. (We'll soon have to add a "More..." feature for config options :D)

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 05:23:17 am »
Hi,

You mention plugins ... Where can I find a list of plugins? Maybe there is something interesting I can use ;)

Pet

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:08:21 am »
At the very bottom of the wiki, Part 5 Plugins

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 06:13:59 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply!
I found the list ... but I have no idea where to look for the plugin-code ... Can you help me again?

Pet

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 06:21:27 am »
Sure, it is on the main OG menu, click on Downloads, and you'll see the link to plugins.