Author Topic: folders for documents  (Read 21025 times)

moorezilla

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: folders for documents
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 12:06:07 pm »
I realize this is an older post and that apparently there is something in the works for 2.0, but I just wanted to vote for the inclusion of folder functionality for documents. I really like Feng Office, but the lack of traditional folder functionality is tough for us to overcome with our users. The tagging system just doesn't work well for us, so for what it's worth, I vote for folders!

TomMcc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 02:50:24 pm »
I too think a folder system for docs would be a great help. With the lack of a viewer for say pdf files, I convert my pdf's to images so they can be viewed inside the app. Many of these are multi page pdf's and therefore become multiple images. Being able to maintain these images together in an appropriately named folder would really help in keeping the docs organized.

Plus, if the ability was already in there at one time, I would guess most of the hard work is already done and it just needs to be re-implemented. Those who don't like it or need it, simply don't have to use it, but apparently several would find this functionality helpful.

thanks

olegl84

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 04:12:42 am »
I suppose folder functionality Must be

weilies

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 06:12:15 am »
I suppose folder functionality Must be

Yup, imagine if an admin organized her files by month, "Jan2010", "Feb2010"...
Is she going to create a workspace every month?
And also, a normal operator is not suppose to be grant admin right to create workspace

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 11:42:36 am »
We'll re-analyze this.
But I believe it won't make it for 1.8 unless it is sponsored or contributed.

weilies

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 01:51:38 am »
how much to contribute for that?  :)

kabelittle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 03:00:49 am »
I would also like to see folders implemented, for two reasons

(1)  I work with a few old-school consultants who cannot comprehend browsing documents without  a folder structure.

(2)  As alluded to previously, there are almost as many file organization naming schemes as there are users. I feel that my clients' comfort level is greatly increased when I am able to duplicate the look/feel of a familiar naming scheme.

Please forgive my ignorance (I am not a programmer), but if sub-tasks are possible, why not sub-documents?

Thanks, and keep up the excellent work!

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 04:00:04 pm »

Please contact sales@fengoffice.com to find this out.

weilies

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 10:37:51 pm »

Please contact sales@fengoffice.com to find this out.

sorry if i get you wrongly.
You mean this feature just for someone who sponsor the feature? Or it's count on public contribution and release the folder feature for community version?

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 05:41:22 pm »
It depends on what the customer needs and requests.

stevesan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 04:12:37 pm »
Hi.

Sorry for bouncing this, but it seemed to be the appropriate thread since I also see the use for folders.

I work in advertising business, and when we make files in Adobe InDesign, the project file has links to exterior documents (images etc) which are not embedded in the document but placed in a project subfolder so the main file doesn't get too heavy.

Using the check out procedure as is, only the main file is opened and any dependent files places in sub-workspaces doesn't come along. And links don't work since files are not placed in a true path system.

So... folders giving files real paths so dependencies would work should benefit this system largely, not only for us but for anyone using project-like environments (InDesign, DreamWeaver etc. etc.)

fengy

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 05:27:02 am »
+1 for folders in the Documents module

mok

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 09:05:05 am »
I think it shold be added again.
As administrator I'm not interested in make/delete workspaces as folders, or give permissions to that worspaces as folders.

If a workspace is done, the the users should be who manage it and organize as they want.
Tags not always are needed.

One more, see the ammount of visits of this threat. Is a requested search item because is needed? ;)

pmaxx

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 03:09:37 am »
I'm not a big fan of folders for documents... but if users want them, let em have it.

@ kabelittile:
"Please forgive my ignorance (I am not a programmer), but if sub-tasks are possible, why not sub-documents?"
That is perfect to me.  Custom properties for different types of files, yes!
Documents (imho) should be filtered in 2 dimensions, #1 access privileges (workspaces), and #2 metadata (Custom Properties).

Trying to organize documents with folders drives me crazy.  Example, if there is a set of documents generated at regular time intervals, like weekly reports, one of the custom properties for that document type will be a date field.  Otherwise, I'm 2 or 3 folders deep just getting to the reports, then there are 13 folders after 3 months, and 26 folders after 6 months, and them we start creating quarterly folders...  It drives me crazy! I'd rather enter a couple of keywords and a date. Plus, if I want to look at data from 3 consecutive weeks, It's all right there.

I guess that's the biggest thing. Folders impose a defined structure on how the data is grouped. Like I said, to each his (her) own, If you like folders, I think you should have them. But I want sub-documents/custom properties!