Author Topic: SOLVED: 1.5 final: imap email syncs only 10 mails  (Read 3418 times)

max

• View Profile
SOLVED: 1.5 final: imap email syncs only 10 mails
« on: August 02, 2009, 05:32:46 pm »
This behaviour has appeared for me in earlier versions, too:

when I try to sync my inbox using imap, only 10 emails are retrieved per click on "check mail" (and it says so: "success: 10 emails retrieved") .
But unfortunately I have about 10000 mails in my inbox.

And it seems to retrieve them beginning with the oldest,

* So do I have to press "check mail" 1000 times now?

And the mails are all marked as "unread" (could that be the problem?) and mails that I delete from the server with thunderbird never disappear from OpenGoo.

* would you say that opengoo can handle such big inboxes? of course with attachments those would be several gigabytes, but that in my opinion is what iMAP should be for - syncing only the headers, then retrieving the mail as required. no?

* how could we tell openGoo to sync only the last X days, or only unread e-mail messages? This is obviously a must If it's only my second mail client, and I use it only occasionally.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:45:45 pm by max »

ignacio

• View Profile
Re: 1.5 final: imap email syncs only 10 mails
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:48:13 am »
Hi max,

OpenGoo doesn't work like regular IMAP clients. It fetches emails into OpenGoo instead of only fetching headers, the read / unread status is independent from the server and if you delete an email in the server or in OpenGoo it isn't reflected on the other one. We think there are advantages to this behavior as well as disadvantages. We plan to support the regular IMAP behavior on the future but we haven't schedule it on our roadmap yet.

As to why you are getting 10 emails, this is because there's a config option on "Administration" / "Configuration" / "Mailing" that tells how many emails you can fetch at once. You can set it to 0 to not limit email fetching. Ideally you will check email accounts through a cron job, so that email will always be ready for you when you login. You can read more about configuring cron jobs here.

Regards.

max

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 12:43:50 pm »
Hi Ignacio,

thank you for the speedy reply. This is one of the reasons i love openGoo.

OpenGoo doesn't work like regular IMAP clients.

the way you describe it it works just like a pop client that doesn't delete the messages from the server, no?

That is unfortunately a killer for large mailboxes and i'm afraid that it won't scale well. (I believe the mail storage in our small company runs to more than 80 GB already - for about seven users.)
So, I believe it's pretty incompatible with the way most users treat their inboxes.

On my mobile phone I have a mail client which allows me to
a) define "get only emails newer than... days"
b) define "get only the latest ... mails"
c) define "get only unread messages"
d) define "download only messages smaller than .... kb"

and with those few features I'm already able to work with my otherwise huge mailboxes. I'd love such an option for a start.

As to why you are getting 10 emails, this is because there's a config option on "Administration" / "Configuration" / "Mailing" that tells how many emails you can fetch at once

doh. my apologies. I totally did not see it.

jari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:57:03 am »
... We plan to support the regular IMAP behavior on the future but we haven't schedule it on our roadmap yet.

This is good news! Thumbs up!