Author Topic: SyncML  (Read 9434 times)

wladi

• View Profile
SyncML
« on: March 06, 2009, 06:49:43 pm »
Hi everyone,

what about including SyncML to opengoo? I would love to be able to sync my opengoo-calendar with my mobile phone so that i have all my appointments with me.

Best wishes
Wladislaw

nsrivastava2

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SyncML
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:24:19 pm »
I think SyncML is really a good option.

I sync my Google Calendar with my Mobile Calendar so even if OpenGoo gives the ability to sync its Calendar with Google Calendar...things would work like charm.

DewBob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 04:03:47 pm »
I agree.  I think SyncML would be a great feature to add. It could allow for not only syncing with mobile devices, but other mail/calendar clients as well (i.e. Outlook, Thunderbird, Google, etc.)

This is a very desirable feature for me and my usage of OpenGoo.

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 02:04:06 pm »
Hello to all,

Just to let you know we would love to integrate SyncML to OpenGoo.

If you would like to work on this project or sponsor it, please let us know.

Marcos

max

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 05:01:46 pm »
Yesyes,

I've been in contact with conrado at feng about this a week ago.
Everyone, how about sponsoring this feature together?

I'm still awaiting their cost estimate, but I'm certain already that if some of us share the cost it would be much easier to sponsor...!

come on, let's lend them a hand!

DewBob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:21:45 pm »
It is certainly easier to answer the question with a cost estimate...  :)

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 08:51:07 pm »
I and others would be more inclined if we knew exactly what functionality this would or could bring.

"Syncing with mobile devices, but other mail/calendar clients as well" is all well and good, but what does that really entail? All features all the time? Is "syncing" the same as push email or is it real-time updating? Does it include syncing all features of OG and all features of other products like LookOut, Tbird, Google or just a subset?  etc etc etc
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

max

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 12:38:48 pm »
DewBob and Pet,

You are both right: We need more info. I've redirected my request to Marcos at fengoffice a few minutes ago, and I hope they'll make suggestions.

About the scope of what's needed, I'll try to clarify my needs:

* What to sync: contacts, events, and (ideally) tasks. I don't need email sync as the OpenGoo email client isn't usable for me and we stick with squirrelmail, which we already have. I also don't need document sync as I'm unaware of any proper solution for that.

* Which whom to sync: If you support SyncML then I believe you'll already be compatible with a bunch of sync partners  (via third-party extensions) like Thunderbird, Outlook, Apple iCal, iPhone, Google Calendar, Windows Mobile, other phones... From what I've seen I believe SyncML is the way to go, with the apparently best-supported open source system being funambol. There is a commercial SyncML solution from Synthesis.ch which has been praised for its stablility on some other forum.

* How to sync: I'm not a firm believer in Push-sync, I just don't believe it will work under all circumstances. So I'd be happy to have sync on request and that's all I need. for now.

certainly there will be many problems arising out of the openGoo extra fields like the workspace, access rights, subscriptions, etc. - I think I could live with many little restrictions there (e.g. don't sync subscribers, comments, …) if it helps to keep the development simple.

:

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 07:08:30 pm »
We are working on an estimate for this project.
It does not look simple and we are looking at different alternatives.

Funambol and SyncML seem to be the most interesting, but please share your thoughts.

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 07:49:20 pm »
Hi,

I'm using Funambol to sync agenda & contacts and it really is easy to use!
Although, I can't tell anything to hook into it ;)

max

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 05:15:55 am »
koko,

am i right assuming that you are using funambol to sync several mobile devices or apps that have existing funambol clients?
You are not syncing data inside openGoo with funambol, are you?

because my impression was that in this case one would at least need a specially scripted application server to match the different record formats of OGOO and Funambol.

Otherwise, let's hear of your experiences!

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 07:53:21 am »
No, I'm sorry ... you heard it right: I only use Funambol to sync my mobile with Thunderbird.

Murz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 07:40:37 am »
Before OpenGoo I have using the eGroupWare project, and it have a SyncML module for sync Contacts, Tasks and Events. I very often use sync contacts (both sides) with my Windows Mobile phone via Funambol SyncML, it is very useful for me and other in my organisation.
But eGroupWare have the VERY bad user interface, therefore OpenGoo is very useful and much better.

eGroupware is opensource, written in php+mysql, you can look at it sources forborrowing which some ideas. Will be good to add another sync methods (xmlrpc, ldap) too.

I can help you with betatesting of sync functions.

All of eGroupware sync capabilities is here: http://www.egroupware.org/sync

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 10:16:19 am »
We've opened two new threads concerning Funambol SyncML synchronization (for mobile devices):
If you are interested in sponsoring the feature, read this one.
If you have any questions, please post them here.