Author Topic: Permissions for Contacts? Help!  (Read 5361 times)

editfish

• View Profile
Permissions for Contacts? Help!
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:59:26 am »
Hi-

I'm having trouble with the permissions for the 'Contacts' section.

Although individual users can add contacts into their own workspaces, and deselect access options by other users, they still show up in the 'Contacts' list when other users log in, and appear to even be editable by them, even though their individual and group settings supposedly disallow contact management.

They are still viewable even when assigned to workspaces NOT VISIBLE in the collapsible workspace list on the left.

I have gone through all the individual permissions settings for each user, removing all contact permissions, and also the 'group' permissions.

What am I overlooking?

*edit* This appears to be the opposite problem discussed in another thread (http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=225.0); which appears to be bug related?

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 01:03:38 am by editfish »

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
Re: Permissions for Contacts? Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 11:03:11 am »
We'll look at it.
The truth is that the permissions mechanism was thought so that if a user has permissions to manage contacts, he can access the whole set of contacts when he is filtering 'All'(not considering workspace permissions).
Per workspace contact permissions should only give the ability to assign a contact to a workspace.

This was done with the idea that when somebody adds a contact, the whole company should have it available. However, our experiences have showed that this might not be the best solution in all cases. Moreover, maintaining two different permission schemes (one for contacts and another for other content objects) is also a bit confusing.

Conclusion: We expect to redefine contact permissions shortly, but this definitely won't make it to 1.0. What we will do for 1.0 is check that the actual permissions schema works as described above.

Thanks for your help.
Marcos
PS: We really need some formal documentation :S

editfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:25:51 pm »
Gotcha.

I guess I was presuming that 'Contacts' were also considered 'Content'.

So in it's current state, Workspaces assigned to a particular Contact only work as far as filtering/drilling down is concerned?

Alternatively (perhaps as an enhancement), I really like the contact window that opens up when the contact is selected.  It would be cool to be able to do something similar with the Weblinks whereby a copy of the link/page could be saved or stored (ala G00gle Notebook) for future reference, with a button/link giving the option to open the 'live' link in a separate tab/window.  That would really tighten up the Weblink usability.

2ยข

editfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 05:55:16 pm »
Should we copy/move this thread to Feature Requests?

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 06:05:48 pm »
Done! Thanks.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.