Author Topic: Mobile version  (Read 11321 times)

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
Mobile version
« on: August 20, 2009, 12:04:54 pm »
As I am right now on a bus, I am thinking about a mobile version for Opengoo. What do you think?
Gnumla
Tu sitio de Joomla! en español

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mobile version
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 09:05:31 am »
Hi,

I've been thinking about it also a lot ...
A version without the Javascript (as far as i know, there is no mobile browser yet with js-support ....) and all the content visible and the possibility to edit everything.

Any other opinions?

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 07:37:18 pm »
My phone does support js, and even it's capable of accessing Opengoo main page, but it's really heavy for it.

So, as you have suggested, koko, it should be a page mainly in HTML, not as simple as Google mobile services, but much lighter than desktop version. :)
Gnumla

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 05:54:18 am »
I've been thinking about this, and perhaps we could make a light template that suits well in our phone browsers. :-\

What do you think?
Gnumla

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:53:24 am »
Hello,

I think this might be a good start!
One thing to consider:
Can we get the basic features working with just a template?

PS What browser do you use? I use Opera, and I think it can't work with JS.

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 07:55:36 pm »
I use the Nokia Browser, it's at least as good as Opera (I was a real Opera Mini fan) and It is a symbian apps.

First of all, we could define the main features. For example, at the main windows we should have a link for:
  • Most Recent
  • Notes
  • Email
  • Contacts
  • Calendar
  • Documents
  • Tasks
  • Web Links

As the workspace specify the context of the application, I don't see the need to implement it on the main page. Perhaps it could be shown as a property of the items once you have a list of them, or so.
Gnumla

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 06:23:37 pm »
Please let us know if we can help you with this in any way. We have no time/budget to completely develop it for free, but would love to help you with it.
Regards,
Marcos

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 07:49:02 pm »
Well, I have been taking a look at the templates but it seems that we are pretty constrained. We can only change css properties.

For a better mobile experience I think that it is basic to take out the panels and the tabs (without CSS tricks as hidden property). Do you think there is a way to accomplish this?
Gnumla

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 06:55:58 am »
A little search in Google: "extjs mobile" has vanished my hopes for a Mobile version.

As a Javascript framework, Extjs rely on Javascript (pretty obvious, isn't it?), so the templates system wouldn't make a point in this case. It seems that some ExtJS developers don't take mobile browsing seriously:

http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34723

Nevertheless it all depends on how is Opengoo created:

http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17752

I have not taken a look into the code, but I think that it completely rely on the JS for everything, so, it's a lost battle.  :(
Gnumla

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 06:59:06 am »
Hi,

What a pitty!!!

Can we make a (totally seperated) version of Opengoo? From scratch, with everything scripted for exclusively Mobile use?

The features have to be the same, i think, but this way, we have a mobile version of opengoo ...

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 06:19:34 pm »
Hello,

Unfortunately, user interface cannot be reused as is. Complete rewriting is not necessary but framework and user interface adaption is not an easy task.

We cannot cover all the costs of doing this, but would definitely be interested in developing it if we had enough paying customers for this feature.

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 03:23:38 pm »
Hello,

Unfortunately, user interface cannot be reused as is. Complete rewriting is not necessary but framework and user interface adaption is not an easy task.

We cannot cover all the costs of doing this, but would definitely be interested in developing it if we had enough paying customers for this feature.

I utterly disagree with your point. We just need a hook to the db functions, we were trying to set the mobile views. BTW I think a mobile version is a must for this kind of application.

Nevertheless, It's just a minor disagreement that does not shadow your great work in the script. Thank you for your help anyway. ;)
Gnumla

Syrion

• View Profile
    • Studio Krater v.o.f.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 03:36:35 pm »
A mobile version needs a new set of templates, since the current templates are AJAX based. Every function would rely on 2 or 3 separate pages for the mobile version. So a lot of pages need to be created, most of them form-based.

Do we have anyone in the community who has done something like that before?

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 03:10:52 am »
A mobile version must not be ajax based, as most mobile devices don't support javascript. I have some experience with HTML and mobile applications and I was trying to create a template.

There are not so many pages, as the mobile version won't have the same functionalities.
Gnumla

kristjanmik

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 12:55:22 pm »
I reccomend you to check this out