Author Topic: Upgrading vs New Install?  (Read 2763 times)

editfish

• View Profile
Upgrading vs New Install?
« on: August 12, 2009, 04:19:28 pm »
Hello-

I'm currently running 1.0 rc3, and past attempts to upgrade to each new release as they come out have consistently failed for a variety of reasons.  I am about to try again with the new version, but am wondering if it might not be less frustrating to just do a new install?

If so, how can I go about exporting all the users, accounts, documents and weblinks from the old install and into the new one?

Thanks!

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
Re: Upgrading vs New Install?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 07:06:04 pm »
Personally I think upgrading would be the easiest path, as exporting then importing may turn out to be a bigger challenge.  You'll have increased chances of getting community support for your upgrades, but with export/import, very few if any have done this so if something goes wrong you'll have to rely on the devs only.

Of course, that's up to you, best wishes either way
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

carcam

• View Profile
    • Gnumla!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 02:35:01 am »
I agree with Pet, the easiest way is the upgrading. As has past some time since the 1.0 version, the forum should have all the answers to your problems in the different upgrades. I should take an upgrade path version to version till 1.5.1. So here you have my little guide:

1- Create a complete backup of your system
2- Restore the backup in a local copy
3- Upgrade to 1.1 (not just overwriting the files, but accessing to the upgrade link)
4- Upgrade to 1.2 (same as above)
5- Upgrade to 1.3 (same as above)
6- Upgrade to 1.4 (same as above)
7- Upgrade to 1.5 (same as above)
8- Upgrade to 1.5.1 (same as above)
9- Create a complete backup of your local copy
10- Restore your local copy backup on your server

If every upgrade is succesfull, you don't have to check the functionalities, because they may have bugs corrected in the next release. You only have to check the 1.5.1 functionalities and check the forum for the patches. Good luck!!  ;)
Gnumla
Tu sitio de Joomla! en espaƱol

editfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 12:35:16 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try and keep you posted.