Author Topic: Tags of subtasks are ignored in sort-by-tag view  (Read 2590 times)

max

• View Profile
Tags of subtasks are ignored in sort-by-tag view
« on: August 07, 2009, 08:30:38 am »
I have a task "A" tagged "1" and it has a subtask "B" tagged "1" and "2".
Now in Tasks view sorted by tags, task B only appears as a subtask to A under the tag list "1".
I believe that Task B should also appear on its own under the tag list "2", no?

carlos

• View Profile
Re: Tags of subtasks are ignored in sort-by-tag view
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 02:29:03 pm »
Hi max,

Yes, you are right.. there are a couple of other details to solve with this. For example, task B (in my opinion) should also display the fact that it is a subtask of task A, which could be somewhere else in the view - or not displayed at all, if it doesn't meet the filter conditions.

The same problem happens when grouping by "assigned to", for example. It's sort of haunting us and we haven't reached any solid conclusions yet as to how to handle this,, we also have some code design issues to consider with the fact that, when fixed, tasks could probably appear in two or more groups at the same time.

If you have any ideas or suggestions in the meantime, they will be always welcome...

max

• View Profile
Re: Tags of subtasks are ignored in sort-by-tag view
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 03:24:23 pm »
What helped us to get over this is a simple trick:
The parent task must not be assigned to anyone
the child tasks must be assigned to someone.

Then the list view will show the task grouped in one, but only under the parents' tag when I set the filter to "assigned to everyone's",

but when I set the filter to "assigned to me" then I can see at least the subtasks unter both tags.

So we're attempting to use parent tasks only as "holders" which don't contain actionable items. Then this is a functioning workaround.
Somehow these rather complex filtering mechanisms do need a lot of getting used to, but then you can work around most of the quirks. However it does require a rather bold regime to not loose overview once you have a few hundred tasks in your teams' lists.

We're actually just getting used to opengoo, but we're spending quite some time with it here and hopefully we'll have a few "best-practice" examples written down soon which we could share with others for discussion.

Keep up the good work, guys!