Author Topic: upgrade from 1.4.2 to 1.5 -- problem with "overview" + perfomance problems  (Read 9102 times)

artvolk

• View Profile
Good day!

I've upgraded 1.4.2 to 1.5 by overwriting files and running /files/upgrade using instructions in readme.txt

The Overview page loads very slow (with high load on mysql) and show only work 'null' at the end if any the following  widgets on the dashboard are enabled:

- Show pending tasks widget:
- Show late tasks and milestones widget:
- Show 'Tasks in progress' widget:

I've set debug to true in config, but still got no detailed error message.

Thanks in advance for any help!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:59:42 pm by artvolk »

artvolk

• View Profile
Re: upgrade from 1.4.2 to 1.5 -- problem with "overview"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 04:22:03 pm »
One more thing -- browsing Tasks also is very slow, I've reverted to 1.4.2 version -- and it works good.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:44:54 pm »
How many tasks do you have system-wide approximately?

artvolk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 02:59:24 pm »
Good day!

Table `og_project_tasks` has 496 records. Please let me know if you need any other information.

ignacio

• View Profile
Ok, it's not too many tasks, so that is not the problem. Are you using InnoDB or MyISAM as your database engine?

artvolk

• View Profile
I use MyISAM and this seems to be 1.5 related, because 1.4.2 with the same (but not upgraded DB) works good, by the way, I'm not the only one :), here are topics with the same problems

OG 1.5 final act very slow
http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=2313.0

1.5 final - one user having problem with OG while others don't
http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=2288.0

artvolk

• View Profile
Does anybody have the following problems?

Can I help in anyway by gathering more detailed information?

ignacio

• View Profile
I will try to check out an installation with MyISAM . You know we don't recommend using MyISAM. Originally it was due to lack of transactions. Now it seems that it will have some performance issues too. Of course, if we can find a solution we will fix it.

artvolk

• View Profile
Good day!

MyISAM is considered faster on selects (or at least comparable):
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2007/01/08/innodb-vs-myisam-vs-falcon-benchmarks-part-1/

1.4.2 run smoothly and really fast on my current hardware, does 1.5. have a lot of changes?

I left 1.5 installation with problem on my server to run any tests to help you troubleshoot.

ignacio

• View Profile
There's two important changes that I can think of that could have messed MyISAM performance:

One is that tasks, milestones, events and weblinks now use another table to associate them to workspaces. Previously this association was done with a column containing the workspace's id. Now it's a table that associates object id to workspace id. It's the same table that was previously being used for Notes, Documents, Email and Companies, so if you have been using

The other is that when filtering workspaces previously we were giving all of the workspace IDs directly in the query and now we are giving a subquery instead of the IDs. It turned out to be much faster in InnoDB when there are lots of workspaces, because otherwise to obtain the IDs you would have to iterate through all workspaces in PHP.

About MyISAM being faster, I thought that too before, but lately I have been searching the web and found several websites with benchmarks showing that InnoDB is faster. On several tests I performed on OpenGoo, InnoDB turned out to be faster, except on some queries like SELECT count(*) FROM table on which MyISAM was faster.

artvolk

• View Profile
Thank you for the detailed description. I will try to upgrade once more and move database to InnoDB engine. I will let you know if it helps.

Thanks again!

artvolk

• View Profile
Good day!

Have you got a chance to fix the issues in 1.5.2?

Thanks!

ravex

• View Profile
Its strange. but i found problem but don't understand how fix it.

1. So if we create Subtask in Task. and name it in Cyrrilic (Russian) more than 22 symbols for example:
Документирование тест
and return to Overview tab. we get a "NULL message"

2. But if  name  of subtask in English for example same translated or transliterated 22 symbol message
Dokumentirovanie test
and return to Overview tab. we get our Overview tab with Widgets without any errors.

and very strange fact is:

3. But if  name  in English + Cyrrilic (Russian) for example same translated or transliterated 22 symbol message + original  Russian letters
Dokumentirovanie тест, очень много тестов
and return to Overview tab. we also get a our Overview Widgets without any errors.

what  is type of problem? how can fix this?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:13:41 am by ravex »

ravex

• View Profile
Here another example
words like
Документирование дополнительно
Документирование_дополнительно
Документирование+дополнительно
Документирование-дополнительно
null return

but same english
Dokumentirovanie dopolnitel'no
Dokumentirovanie_dopolnitel'no
Dokumentirovanie+dopolnitelno
Dokumentirovanie-dopolnitelno
return Widgets without "null"

and if remove any "'space'. '-'. '+'. '_' " symbols in Cyrrilic version and merge this two words into one big word
Overview tab also return Widgets without "null"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:30:20 am by ravex »

milchbazi

• View Profile
    • Email
When any tab is selected (like email) and you press on the "all" workspace, you will always get an overview shown while the activated tab remains email.