Author Topic: 1.4.2 -> 1.5 breaks installation  (Read 12850 times)

robbrandt

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1.4.2 -> 1.5 breaks installation
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 10:59:14 pm »
I have to agree, this is not a solution.  Waiting until 1.6 probably won't help, because the 1.6 upgrade will likely execute the 1.5 upgrade along the way.  My understanding is that Feng is based on Goo, so their paying customers are going to see the same issues and they'll be deluged with tech issues.  They need to figure this out.

I have two questions:

* Would you like my datafile?  You can run the conversion yourself and see where/if it trips up.

* How to I force the upgrade to recognize that it needs to run an upgrade.  During my struggle, I tried altering the values in version.php and installed_version.php, but  the system still though it was already upgraded.  I haven't tried again lately, and won't until I know how to manipulate it so that I know I can make some progress.

cguyer

• MSN Messenger - colby_guyer@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - excag03
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - excag18
    • View Profile
    • TIU11
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 02:22:22 pm »
i get a mysl error

Duplicate column name 'repeat_end'

but i dont see any repeat_end in the upgrade sql script?

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 04:34:23 pm »
  My understanding is that Feng is based on Goo, so their paying customers are going to see the same issues and they'll be deluged with tech issues.  They need to figure this out.

Although a Feng customer, I'm using the same OG code you are, and mine worked fine.
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 12:20:40 pm »
OpenGoo is for technical users. If you think the solution I gave to you is too much work for you you may consider buying an online installation at Feng Office and forget about upgrades.

Regards.

robbrandt

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 01:29:49 am »
OpenGoo is for technical users. If you think the solution I gave to you is too much work for you you may consider buying an online installation at Feng Office and forget about upgrades.

Regards.

For whatever reason, I was able to upgrade to 1.5.1.  I did the upgrade as a parallel installation: upload the new files, set writeable what needed to be writable, copy the files in the config folder from the old installation into the new installation, copy the database into a new database, point the new installation to the new database, run the upgrade.  It worked with no problems.

That said, I am very discouraged by your response above.  This is open source software, yet you do not seem to embrace the open source approach.  We, your open source users, are your greatest source of bug reports, suggestions and fixes.  For every issue that comes up here, there are probably ten in your paying users that you don't hear from, they just go elsewhere.  If your approach to our issues is "pay up", you will get nothing from me.  Keep in mind that OpenGoo is open source; anyone can fork this project at any time.  Not being helpful will hasten that day.  The users will go along with whoever they trust the most.  Will it be you?  That's up to you.  The landscape is littered with good open source projects that died after they ticked off their users.

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 04:09:11 am »
They entirely embrace the open source approach. You had some problems with the install, a dev offered a free stopgap solution, then after you posted again, he offered another trouble-free solution which is a legitimate response that requires a very modest investment.  The open source model embraces pay-for-support.

OG is a work in progress, there will be bugs, bugs take time to fix.  If you don't want the hassle of upgrading it yourself, purchase a subscription. Judging by the comments on these forums, most people are very appreciative of the free support that the devs give, and the prompt attention they give to serious bugs.

Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

robbrandt

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 03:32:35 pm »
The issue isn't me, it's the other guys that had trouble.  The response was basically that if they aren't a power user - maybe even a developer - then pay for support.  The real issue is that there was an upgrade issue that could happen to anybody.  It happened to enough people that there can be no doubt that there is an issue somewhere, even if it's a common user error.  The paid support customers will get it too.  Problems need to be aggressively diagnosed regardless of paid support or in the community.  They lost an opportunity to service their paid support customers better by not pursuing a problem reported from multiple users in the community.  That is not encouraging.

ignacio

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 05:27:36 pm »
I may have been a little too blunt on my answer but let me explain further. Of course we appreciate users' bug reports and love to help users with their problems, but Open Source is about working together, not about some working for others. I did give a solution to your problem, it's just that you didn't like it.

My other suggestion was a legitimate one. If you don't like dealing with upgrade problems you should considering paying someone else to do them for you.

I'm an open source user myself, of many applications, from the OS to the browser, web apps, desktop apps, etc. If I find a bug or have a problem I search for a solution on the web. Many times solutions are cumbersome, but I just deal with it. I do report bugs but don't expect them to be fixed for me right away. Generally, developers' time is limited, and so it is dedicated to fix the most common issues. You can't pretend them to fix all user's problem. It's just impossible.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say and don't take offence. I would love to be able to solve your problem, but I don't have time to give you a perfect solution.