Author Topic: Project Import  (Read 12941 times)

oldbroker

• View Profile
Project Import
« on: July 24, 2007, 02:04:50 pm »
Hello,
A new project import would be great. Upload a couple xml configuration files and a folder of project files and viola, populate a project. Many folks need project management away from an internet connection while they are working in the field and need to be able to upload new or update a project from work already done. Think rich client.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
Re: Project Import
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:16:51 pm »
That is a good idea. And yes, off-line work should be a goal in a future release, in the recent future.

I can't code it right now, but there may be a volunteer to do it. It is a very interesting task.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

oldbroker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 03:06:40 pm »
I have been working on a rich-client type of idea for some time now. Just a spreadsheet add-in in a c# project with an ftp upload. I'm able to save my data as xml and use it for content on the admin portion of a site.
But I got to thinking the other day - what about eclipse - it is set up to do projects and ftp sync etc. I've seen several web project ide's build out of it - look at aptana. But having no JAVA experience I wouldn't know where to start. But just think of it - a stable platform like eclipse that would allow you to sync projects. I know it is a slightly different direction than what eclipse is used for but isn't the basic idea the same? Manage a group of files as a project and sync them with another location. Sort of an "Opengoo for Eclipse"......

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 03:22:07 pm »
Yes, it would be cool to have an Eclipse plugin that syncs with OpenGoo. It certainly is desirable.

But what OpenGoo is (on my mind) goes on the opposite direction. I use several PC's. I do not like to carry a notebook around. So I want to get into any computer and have the same environment just by logging into a webpage.

Most people involved in OpenGoo at the moment are Java developers, so we all use Eclipse, and the plugin idea would be nice for us. But for someone just doing project management and document collaboration Eclipse would probably bee too much. Remember Eclipse is very heavy (no less than 50 MB in its smallest form).

On a first approach I would just pursue a light-weight -browser bundled- AJAX like solution for the offline work and sync.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

oldbroker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 03:57:11 pm »
I think I like your idea better. I get the idea but I don't think I've ever seen something like it. Any examples to look at out on the "interweb" as my old dad says?

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 06:22:02 pm »
What I would like for us to achieve is something like a mix of Google Apps and Basecamp.

mario

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 02:29:56 am »
Hi, I'm "back".
Just trying to catch up with the current status of openGoo.
But something just don't make sense to me on this, what your talking, wouldn't  be like making an openoffice?
Sorry if i missed something obvious.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 12:03:56 pm »
Welcome back Mario.

Sorry for the delay. This has been a crazy week; I am going to California for a month, departing this Saturday.

OpenGoo is a lot like OpenOffice, but Web based. That means it should be accessible via a browser, so that no installations and no licenses and no synchronization is ever needed.

That does not mean that several plugins (Eclipse, OpenOffice, MS Office, etc.) could be developed to extend its functionality.

We were discussing just this the other day: Wouldn't it be cool to have some Office plugin that would let you save directly from your desktop office suite into the OpenGoo filesystem? (Eduardo's idea)