Author Topic: Quick Message Button  (Read 12573 times)

gylf

• View Profile
Quick Message Button
« on: October 07, 2008, 06:11:23 pm »
One feature that is really necessary for an office is the ability to create quick notes ("sticky notes") and then elaborate on them later by typing up quick memos to log a phone call or meeting summary.

There currently isn't an "activity tracker" like many CRM's which I think is actually <i>better</i> because messages + tags work just as well and are much simpler (anything more complicated you can just upload a document).

Anyway, my point is:
it would be nice to have a "quick message" button somewhere, maybe in the workspace toolbar next to "refresh".  It would bring up a "new message" dialog w/ the current selected workspace pre-selected.  You could then add some tags (phone call, meeting, note, etc).  If a follow-up is needed (due to a rush) you just flag as "important" (which, by the way, I don't see the "important messages" section in the workspace menu :) ).

How does this sound to people?

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
Re: Quick Message Button
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:51:15 am »
We use "messages" for this. Messages were simpler, got complicated in versions 0.8 and 0.9, but I promise we will simplify this again.

Currently (as of version 0.9) you don't see internal messages by default ...  ???

But, when messages become simple again, what you want to do can be accomplished by creating a new message (not to confuse with e-mail) and then commenting on that message. If you are doing CRM, message should obviously go on the client's workspace.

How does that sound?
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

gylf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:21:52 pm »
I think you misunderstood me because what I was saying is that messages (with tags) are the perfect solution and shouldn't be changed.  I just thought a "add message" button on the left hand panel would be good for quick access.

By "simple" do you mean easier to access in the GUI?  Because that's exactly what I was requesting :)

Edit: spelling

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 12:38:42 pm »
By simpler I mean I don't like internal messages and e-mail not all mixed up together, as it makes it harder to manage. If you were using messages in 0.8 (as I was), 0.9 is a step backwards.

The problem I see with the 'quick message button' is that other people will want other 'quick buttons', and it'll be hard to please everybody. That is probably better added as a hack, depending on your particular needs, unless it becomes obvious everyone wants a particular button, or everyone needs 'some' button, which would have to be solved with an abstract button which would take some time to code, it should be easily configurable... anyways, I'll keep it in mind.  ;)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

gylf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 10:49:33 pm »
Right, I agree.  Which is why I posted it in the "ideas" section so others can comment.

Would others find this useful?