Author Topic: How do you like Feng Office 3?  (Read 7546 times)

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
How do you like Feng Office 3?
« on: December 03, 2014, 11:43:44 am »
We would love to get your feedback on the new version!

Please share your thoughts and comments.

And, by all means, please report all the bugs that you find on our bug-tracking system.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

steveg

• View Profile
Re: How do you like Feng Office 3?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 04:15:21 pm »
Conrado,

We run a small production server with Feng Office - about 25 users, 2GB ram. 

Upgrade was not smooth - we were met with an inability to get it loaded.  It turns out this was our own error, as we had opcache on and it was caching old queries (we've noted that for ourselves)- since restarting apache, all is good.

First of all - the new look and feel is great.  I like the clean interface.  It has lost some of it's speed and snappiness in the upgrade, particularly when trying to do such tasks as just close a task using the green checkmark - that used to be instant, now, sometimes it will say loading for a period of time.  Spacing has increased, and although this looks nice - it's almost too much as when you have pages of notes/documents/emails then not as many fit on the screen, meaning more mousework.

Possible bug:  We have had the odd time when adding a new task that it freezes after clicking "add task".  Clicking F5 to refresh shows that the task was added, but the screen simply froze.  This has been random, and I can't see a pattern.

Possible bug:  When adding a calendar event, it does not always show the people to be invited.  Refreshing via F5 solves this, but it seems that something breaks somewhere...

We're not sure if those bugs are related to Fengs software or our server caching.  What production caching do you use recommend?

That's it for now - after just a few hours on it...

steveg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 11:27:50 am »
One other thing that we've noticed.

You cannot find deactivated users in the new user editing screen, but they show up on projects that they used to be assigned to, so although you cannot reactivate them or delete them, you can change their permissions on projects that they are already associated with.

You can also assign permissions to them, even though they have been deactivated. 

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:40:15 pm »
Hi steveg,

Thanks for the tremendous feedback!

I'm glad you got it working.

Good news:
The tasks list bug has already been fixed.

I'll check about the other bugs you mention. We are aiming to fix most bugs before the next release: 3.0 RC.

I agree with the space between groups beeing too much. Do you see too much spacing somewhere else? If so, can you share a screenshot?

We'll check on that 'bug' about completing tasks not being as snappy as before.

Not sure what to recommend about caching - that is not my area of expertise - but we do have people on the team who could help you with tuning your production environment.

Looking forward to more of your feedback!
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

shmuelios

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 12:53:08 pm »
Great Job.

I'm currently a casual user of feng office. I have tried out the new build works very well. Great improvements all round. one tiny tiny suggestion the button for minimize/maximize left hand panel uses a border-radius which as you may notice makes it harder to click if you click bottom right of it. I don't know if it even needs to be curved. as apparently curved edges just take more cognitive processing anyway :)

other than that only compliments.

One problem was I couldn't get google calendar sync to work just like this person on version 2.xx http://forum.fengoffice.com/index.php?topic=19131.msg38477#msg38477 maybe google have changed something. I don't know if this requires any special server setup.

upon saving google info. it displays this message "Information: Check your account" as if to say wrong info. but google mentions that there has been a connection from that app password.

Hope this helps.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 10:45:40 am »
Hi Shmuelios,

Thanks for the feedback!

Interesting comment about curved edges. I didn't know about that. Will drop it to the dev team and will probably at some point research it myself.

I think there are have been some issues with Google Calendar, yes. Something about their API or protocol change. It will probably be resolved soon (I hope!).

If you haven't done so yet, and you get the time, it would be great if you can report your specific situation on our bug tracker:
http://www.fengoffice.com/web/bugs/

But I have forwarded this info to the devs anyway.

Cheers! And on behalf of the whole team: thanks for the compliments!   :D

shmuelios

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:40:07 pm »
Well on curved edges I think its just they attract more attention to the rest of the navigation at the top so you give more focus to that because its the only thing that is curved.

On the bug I didn't have any further info than what you have sent on.

Cheers

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 02:26:49 pm »
Thanks for the additional comments, shmuelios.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 02:29:28 pm »
We can confirm that Google changed (deprecated) its Calendar API (v2) on November 17, 2014.

Not the best timing for us.  :(

The dev team will address this as soon as we finish our own v3.

Thanks for tips... and for your patience!

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 07:21:09 pm »

vizfact

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 01:56:49 am »
There are a few minor bugs, but it works!

vat78

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 07:33:45 am »
Interface is good.
But there are some annoying things:
1. Why you removed Persons dimension?
2. My instalation v3.0 works slowly than v.2.6
3. After any actions in list of objects it becomes blank for a while and then it's redrawing. In v.2.6 it was not so visibly
4. Sometimes script errors pop up.

vizfact

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 10:46:49 am »
Wish could delete users. Maybe assigned deleted user content to skeleton account or something. Not being able to deleted users is bad. Disable is cool, but delete is better for correcting permissions and such. On one account I couldn't restrict access, or remove the user from a workspace. Had to remove the email, set up a new account for a new users, and disable the old account.

Please fix this. Seems simple enough. Keyword "seems". Otherwise, very happy with the product and wouldn't trade it for the world.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 12:25:13 pm »
Hi Vizfact and Vat78,

Thanks for the feedback.

Excellent questions and comments.

1. Why you removed Persons dimension?
It has been hidden. You could re-activate it with a little bit of hacking (I don't know how this is done, but will be asking the dev team to share some more on this)
We plan on re-enabling the dimension after we finish it.
Problem was: it was causing most new-users more confusion than providing functionality. We are recommending everyone use the "people tab" until we finish the design and development of this one.

2. My instalation v3.0 works slowly than v.2.6
Could it be because of this?
http://forum.fengoffice.com/index.php?topic=19956.0
If not; do you have any hints of what it could be?

3. After any actions in list of objects it becomes blank for a while and then it's redrawing. In v.2.6 it was not so visibly
We'll take a look.
Not all lists are handled the same way.
Does it happen on Tasks? Documents?

4. Sometimes script errors pop up.
Please do report them on the issue tracking system:
http://www.fengoffice.com/web/bugs/

5. Deleting users.
You have two options here:
a) Inactivating ("disabling"... but I want to change this word  :) ) the user (that is basically what you suggest: associate to a "skeleton account")
The user will not be able to log-in, work, nor be assigned to tasks, nor subscribed to objects.
It simply stays in the DB for reference - so that we know who created her documents, made those comments, etc.

If something I state here is not working, please do report on the issue tracking system, as it means there is a bug.

Sorry something there didn't work - and that you had to resort to a workaround (sounds like an ingenious one too).

b) Remove all the information the user had created - then delete.
This is only useful for recently created users (created 'by mistake').
But - this one completely deletes the user.
We were just chatting with the team about this feature last Friday: we will make this deletion immediate (currently it is sending the user to the trash can... but this is causing trouble).

And yes, "seems" is definitely the keyword.  :) User management in Feng Office (due to the multi-dimension management and granular permissions settings), is a complex matter.

Otherwise, very happy with the product and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Wow! Thanks for those words. That is nice to know!  ;D