Author Topic: Email functionality is crucial  (Read 2703 times)

betty111111

• View Profile
    • Email
Email functionality is crucial
« on: June 11, 2009, 03:36:26 pm »
First of all, I really like the layout of OpenGoo and how things are layed out.

But I can't use it because of the poor email support.  Email has to function fully if it's going to be included.   Obviously rendering emails properly and handling attachments are key points.  The last version (I believe 1.3.x) I tested didn't even recognize some attachments despite there being one, which is obviously unacceptable if I stop using my current email client and switch to using OpenGoo.  And I had issues saving attachments, etc.   There's a reason why its in a Beta status.

I still think OpenGoo should investigate the option of integrating with a proven email system and not try to reinvent the wheel.

RoundCube, Horde and Squirrelmail are all proven clients that would place OpenGoo light years ahead of where it is now.

Just my opinion though.

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
Re: Email functionality is crucial
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:21:36 pm »
My opinion is from a different angle. I think that OG should not even have an email module, instead it should integrate with other email systems. There are many products that work with what you already have that sync with gmail, thunderbird, outlook, exchange etc.
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?

betty111111

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 07:36:23 pm »
I think we are suggesting similar solutions.   

The key functionality I would like to have regarding email is to save/link emails to a workspace, address an email from within the OpenGoo contact record, save attachments into the OpenGoo (workspace(s)) and add attachments to emails from within OpenGoo.

Of course more sophisticated features beyond that would be nice like emailing groups of people, contacts associated with a workspace, users associated with a workspace, etc.    Also incorporating email templates somehow would be nice.  These are just some examples but have secondary importance.

robbrandt

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:04:10 am »
I'm new to opengoo.  But I think what they are doing with email is groundbreaking.  Classification, commenting on and (potentially?) sharing an email makes it very different than other email clients.  It would be very difficult to do what they are trying to do with an existing client.  Carry on, OpenGoo...