Author Topic: Web Spreadsheets: whats missing?  (Read 2866 times)

FernandoR

• MSN Messenger - fer80888@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Web Spreadsheets: whats missing?
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:43:21 pm »
Hi everybody:

I, along with Juan Pedro and Ignacio are developing the Spreadsheet component for Opengoo.

This component is part of our final academic degree project and there are a few weeks ahead before we (finally!) finish it.
We are rounding up some functionalities, fixing bugs and writing the proper documentation.

We know that this project has created some expectation, but we have dedicated our time trying to design and develop something not only for academic porpouses but to keep improving it.

now, the topic subject :

Just like you, we have wonder many times: "what kind of feature I would like to use on my online spreadsheet, but none of the current applications have it?

We had some some ideas, but we'll love to hear yours

This thread is made to share ideas, be open-minded, let our creativity flow, discuss ideas and who knows, perhaps we all togheter can design a fresh new functionality and put it into use once the project is finished

Greetings,

Ignacio
Juan Pedro
Fernando

Just another one trying to help making the best Web Office. Period.

Pet

• Global Moderator
  • Always mining for solutions!
    • View Profile
    • The Bet!
Re: Web Spreadsheets: whats missing?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 07:58:25 pm »
Thanks to all of you for your work!

Although you are asking what kind of new interesting features you might add to it, I would counter with the argument that most people only use/need 5% of what a typical spreadsheet can do. That 5% may be different for each person, but I would see if there is any published data on the popularity of each feature in Excel for instance.  That might give you an idea of what features to focus on.

My only suggestions would be:

1. speed/performance (I find google sheets too slow)
2. try to use all the keyboard shortcuts that make Excel easy/quick to use
3. add nice looking graphs
4. integrate the spreadsheet graphing with the reporting feature, so you can make reporting elements as graphs

cheers
Support OpenGoo - Sponsor a Feature! | Follow me on Twitter | OG Support Chat | Did you turn debugging on?