Author Topic: Formatting Text in Comments  (Read 9429 times)

claudio

• View Profile
Formatting Text in Comments
« on: May 03, 2009, 09:27:39 am »
Since this is my first post, I want to comment on two things:

1. My English is not very good (I'll try to write as best as possible)

2. I really like  OpenGoo.  After evaluating several similar programs, I decided to try implement OG as my PM utility.

It is possible to add some method of formatting text in the comments (for example, something like the editor to which I am writing this post, or any method WikiText) ?

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Formatting Text in Comments
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 05:41:13 pm »
Hi,

As long as we understand the question  ;)

What is the extra value of having formatting in comments? Doesn't make this the comments more difficult to read? Doesn't it confuse people?

If there will be some sort of formatting, I suggest you use the same formatting as in the rest of OpenGoo (maybe in a more simple version).

claudio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 08:32:19 am »
Hi Koko.

I use to (and I prefer) to document each activity within the same object in which I am working (instead of having to create a HTML document and then make a link).

For example:
When I'm working on a Milestone or a Task, I use to document step by step into the corresponding object, when I do some research on the Internet, I like to store the information within the "Web Link", and so on.

¿This clarifies my request?

koko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:03:44 am »
Hi Claudio,

A very interesting way of using comments!
Are they meant this way?

Still my suggestion stays in place, no?

Brass

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 02:55:30 pm »
Hi Claudio,

First of all, you english are very well, but if you have some problem to explain anything in english could you put this post in your language specific forum.

Second, yes, i try format a comment with html tags and BB Code(like a forum) but this don't work.
I assume that you mean something like the bar that appears when trying to make a reply in this forum, but some simply. Only a few buttons to add a link, a link to a image, underline and bold, por example, is just enought.

P.D: My english is worse.

pmaxx

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 03:37:43 pm »
Greetings all;

The issue of being able to format comments has come up before.  I think most users agree it would make OpenGoo more powerful.  Check out this forum here http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=800.0
This is an idea not a feature, but if this is what you are looking for, let the developers know.  The more people ask for a feature, the better the chance that it will be implemented.

- Paul

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 06:42:34 pm »
@Paul: good clarification, thanks

@Claudio's English: it is very, very good (and if you want to write in Spanish, that is just the same for the team).

About the feature request/idea
Paul is right, it has popped up before.

It is not that we won't do it. Right now it is a matter of:
1. Not a current top-priority
2. Resources [developers] are scarce.
3. Not sufficiently designed.

To address issues 1 and 2 it is that we've enabled the possibility for community members to sponsor a feature. This enables us to get more help (hire or contract more developers) to get the particular feature developed sooner. Of course, contracting other Feng Office services helps too.

For issue 3 the thing is that this might make the GUI more cluttered and heavy, and that most of the time you will only need to input text.

One thing that would definitely be very useful is to have links 'work as links' after you input the comment.

Maybe that could be a very useful first step.

But for further functionality... I am still not sure (bullets?, bold font?, nothing?)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

Karl

• ICQ Messenger - 464979879
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 08:19:51 am »
But for further functionality... I am still not sure (bullets?, bold font?, nothing?)

Since you are recommending using Notes and Comments as a kind of Discussion Forum you should provide at least BBCode in my opinion.

pmaxx

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 10:16:45 pm »
Greetings;

I have been thinking about this.  This maybe a good place to post because it also addresses Claudio's use case (sort of).  It 's important to keep the GUI clean and simple.  It would also be great to be able to add a linked object simply, and to access linked objects simply.

For comments, the add comment screen needs a "formatting" option that is similar to the options that are available at the top of the (for instance) edit contact screen.  You click on an option (like timezone) and when it is active, it is bold.  In this case, the option is the additional formatting features.
Also, at the bottom of each object view, there should be row of buttons, "Add Comment" "Add Document" Add Task" Add Calendar Event" etc.  Clicking that button opens the add *** screen and the ne w object is linked to the current object when it is saved.  This is common in CRM apps when you want to add an activity associated with a contact.  I would like to do this when linking an html document (file metadata) to an uploaded file.

Most of the time when I want to link an object, I want to do the link at the point when I create the linked object, not after it has already been created.  I find the concept of linked objects powerful, but the process of creating an object, then creating a 2nd object, then selecting link object, then selecting the 1st object to complete the link is clunky to me...

Lastly, it would be very nice to be able to see those linked objects below the current object.  Sort of like the overview screen shows Upcoming Events, Milestones and Tasks; Pending Tasks; and Documents...  Something like that at the bottom of the object view would be awesome.  Keep the rest the same, actions and properties on the right, but below all of that, list all linked objects.
This isn't exactly what Claudio does, but it keeps all associated info close together, which is, I think, the idea.

I guess the view of linked documents would need to be filtered by workspace (like the overview).  But it would be awesome.

- Paul

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 12:27:01 pm »
As usual, very thoughtful post Paul.

Though I could argue on some details, I am pretty aligned on that vision.

So the only thing preventing us from improving the comments (and, more generally, the "view form" of the Objects) is focus and resources. Most of our focus right now is on improving e-mail, performance, and then some usability issues (there are literally thousands of potential improvements that the team and the community has identified).

But be certain that the future of this particular part of OpenGoo looks pretty much like you envision it.
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

claudio

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 09:23:24 am »
Hi people.

I apologize for not answering the posts, but for some reason I have not received notifications of new comments.
Soon, I will reply back to your comments.

Regards, Claudio.

claudio

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 11:48:31 am »
Hello !!!

At the request of Conrado and Cabeza, I will show you how I implemented my version of Wikitext in OpenGoo. (Reference: http://forums.opengoo.org/index.php?topic=2909)

The trick.
I added at the end of the file /environment/functions/general.php , the code shown at:
http://www.in3.com.ar/pub/og_general.php.html

I search all the files in the OpenGoo code containing a call to any combination off convert_to_links(nl2br(clean(...))) and replace these calls by custom_wiki2html as in http://www.in3.com.ar/pub/og_use_sample.php.html

The code.
The function custom_wiki2html checks if the text to display begins with #!wiki .
In this case, it process the text with de method wikify of the class wiki2htmlController (http://www.in3.com.ar/pub/og_Wiki2HtmlController.class.php.html)

This class implements the WikiParser module (http://www.in3.com.ar/pub/og_WikiParser.php.html) based on code I found at http://wiki2cool.kalfane.org/

The WikiParser module works in combination with a CSS shown at: http://www.in3.com.ar/pub/og_custom.css.html

I think it would be a good idea to replace all calls to convert_to_links (nl2br (clean (...))) and similar by something like "format_text", "display_text" or the name that you like, to make easier adding plugins to format comments, descriptions, and other texts.

That's all
Enjoy !!!

Regards, Claudio.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:50:32 am by claudio »

cabeza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 09:37:30 am »
Thanks Claudio!

carlos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 10:07:52 am »
Thanks Claudio! I think we could give it a try,,, we're currently working on some changes but as soon as we finish this we'll try to work a bit on this subject (I'm guessing around sometime next week)

Cheers!

claudio

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 08:20:15 am »
Thanks Carlos !!!