Author Topic: OpenGoo and Project Management  (Read 4031 times)

pmhut

• View Profile
    • Project Management
OpenGoo and Project Management
« on: October 08, 2008, 07:34:13 pm »
Hi,

Is there a document or a blog post that you can point to discussing how OpenGoo can be used in a Project Management context?

I run a Project Management website and thus this topic interests me a lot.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
Re: OpenGoo and Project Management
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:07:11 am »
Unfortunately I can't recall a particular forum or blog post that will help you.

Most useful tips I can give you:
  • Think of 'Workspaces' as 'Projects' (and 'sub-workspaces' as 'sub-projects'
  • Rely heavily on the 'Tasks' module
  • Use Milestones

Some people do not get the 'Milestone' metaphor right away (unless you take some kind of training on Project Management, it's not that obvious).

Milestones are not tasks. Milestones are things that happen. Examples of milestones:
  • A release of a product
  • An important event
  • An upcoming audit

Milestones are also defined by a set of tasks that need to be done in order to achieve success at meeting the milestone.

Thus, dates are very important to milestones, and maybe not as important for tasks (it might not matter the order in which you do the tasks... but the milestone needs to be reached on time).

People assigned to (responsible for) tasks is very important. Milestones are usually the team's manager responsibility, but ultimately it depends on the whole team.

Wait! At this point I remember! There is this site (www.google.com) where one can search the phrase 'Milestone Project Management' and lots of useful info pop up!  :P

The Wikipedia article is (strangely) quite poor though (as of today).

Here is a cool link, among the many waiting to be brought up here.  ;)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.