Author Topic: So....really....what's happenning to Feng Office?  (Read 7015 times)

fengy

• Freshman
    • View Profile
So....really....what's happenning to Feng Office?
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:46:23 pm »
Hi guys,

Don't get me wrong - Feng is a great product. However in the last years, it seems that Feng is going nowhere.
Feng developers do not show up on the forum. Even Conrado and franspoce86 don't show up anymore.

People are trying to upgrade to the latest version 2.2.1 and are frustrated by the migration. Other comunity members are asking about plug-in development and no one every replies how to create a plug-in.

What are the real benefits from upgrading to 2.2.1? What are the real features?

The only real thing I see is the Calendar sync. ...yes I know: now we have 'Dimensions' and Plug-in system! But who cares about it, since Feng developers don't explain how to create a plug-in?

What has happened to the long-promised Mobile version?

So seriously, is there a change in plans? Is Feng still alive project or just a properietary software with bad management?

...I won't bother to write this comment, if it wasn't the potential I see in the project. I believe that community can help the core team to create an even greater product, however we need support.

Conrado - hire a community manager, please!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:49:23 pm by fengy »

shodgman

• Freshman
    • View Profile
Re: So....really....what's happenning to Feng Office?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 02:59:14 am »
I second that!

For months now I have watched as people try to upgrade from 1.7.5 to whatever the latest version 2 release is.  All I see are errors being reported.  These appear serious enough to stop me trying again.  I have tried and it was a mini disaster. Lots of errors.  I tried everything that was reported and nothing worked.  I asked questions and received nothing that helped.

I do not believe I am alone in this situation.
Until there is an upgrade path that works reliably, I will not be going to Ver 2 or recommending anybody else use Ver 2. 

For now, the project seems to be a dead end.  Unless you are happy to re-key your data everytime there is a major version upgrade.

This is a real pity.  The project is a great product.  Why is it so hard to provide a viable upgrade path?
---
SteveH

vilagol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:06 pm »
Totally agree!   :'(

slawomir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 02:51:55 pm »
I am one of those who tried... I tried hard 3 times, and I have finally failed. So my choice is staying with the known version 1.7.5.

Yes, the 2.2 version has been improved a lot. It contains great dimensions, improved contacts, search function, etc. I even thought to just freeze the collected data in working 1.7.5 instance, and launch the second instance of 2.2 for new data. I have to stay with FengOffice, as it took half a year to make my co workers convince to use FO. Unfortunately, 2.2 cannot assign email account to a project. Without that, our old good way of work has to be changed. No way.

1.7.5 is not that ideal, believe me. I had to manually edit database records to have emails working.

I cannot afford 180USD monthly to have pro version which I believe works, but I am quite sure, I can pay even 1000USD for successful upgrade from 1.7.5 to 2.2 with no data loss.

Dear developers, please think of people like me, people who do not want to give out their data to a cloud or whatsoever, but are not big organizations, just garage server owners :)

potion

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • WorkgroupBase
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 07:44:36 pm »
I love Feng Office.  I really don't know what's going on back at the ranch and I cannot make sense of their commercialization path either.

For me a far better model is the one used by WordPress, which draws on a massive community through wordpress.org, offers free 'cloud' blogging services through wordpress.com, and sells commercially through Automattic.com.  Through Automattic the Wordpress core developers also offer custom enterprise grade web services like VIP hosting to the worlds top corporations, paid-for support services (if the forums can't help), a cut on referrals to hosting companies, google adsense on wordpress.com, etc., etc.    Wordpress makes it easy to contribute by providing excellent documentation, a regulated plugin submission system, etc., at the same time maintaining excellent and consistent design throughout all its online resources.

For Feng Office to grow requires that it is robust, that it attains 'love brand' status (like Apple or WordPress) and that it creates an environment where the community can contribute.  I certainly believe that Feng Office can do and be these things!

Feng Office needs to get a lot better at documentation, formalizing the plugin system and providing a much more flexible pricing model for premium plugins and VIP hosting.  But it must also allow the user the option of using non-premium ('lite' or user-contributed) plugins if they wish.  Like WordPress, they need to create an economy around the free core product, where other developers (e.g. premium plugin writers) depend on it for their livelihood.

True financial success for the Feng Office team lies in expanding the community significantly.

Observing the low activity in this forum and general stagnation of all of Feng Office's web marketing and communications collateral, I am inclined to deduce that marginal growth in the user base may be diminishing.

What can I do to help?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:10:41 am by potion »

cjs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 09:39:33 am »
Hi Guys,

Am new to Feng Office but I find it extremely good concept wise. I bumped into 1.7.2 looking for online worksheet but soon got upgraded to 1.7.5. Sheet stopped working as it was not supported. Then found 2.2.1 and faced all the problems listed above. Then switched back to 2.2 which 'seemed' to work. Then I found issues there that I cannot assign tasks as users don't show up. Then gave up and came back to 2.2.1 and found assignment working but was able to solve the issues above. Then came up with another issue: Now I cannot alter due date. A new due date is accepted but when I try to change it, the error thrown is 'Query failed with message ''Column 'date' cannot be null'.

Also find no response from the fengoffice on the queries posted. Unless a new release with above problems solved is released soon, will have to shelve this.

It will be a pity. Such a good product and little bugs make it un-usable.

Would be glad to help with solutions I found on the problems listed above. Would appreciate, if someone can solve my problem of altering due date.

CJ

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 04:30:04 am »
Wow!

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

We know we have been very quiet lately.

I don't know how to start responding to so many ideas and concerns that you all brought up.

Well... lets start somewhere:

What is going on at Feng Office
We are working on version 2.3. The beta will be released soon.

Making the decision to do version 2 of the system was a bold move. We expected it to be a 6 months project, and an easy upgrade path. But it took over a year to develop, and there are many users -like some of you- that still can't make the upgrade.

We do offer the service to upgrade. I totally agree this should be more clear on our Website... as a matter of fact, the whole website is going to be improved soon. We are already working on several improvement projects we know you will love.

About upgrading to Feng 2.2.1
Feng Office is a big system. And Feng 2 is the transition from a more simple Project Management system with some office features - to a full Collaboration Platform.

The intention was to greatly improve the foundation so that Feng Office could be a platform (supporting easy integration of plug-ins through an API, and supporting extensive information classification through multiple dimensions), while at the same time providing an upgrade path.

The challenge was not easy. And we focused more on what we wanted it to be, than in the backward compatibility.

A complex upgrade path was not planned. It was a consequence. In fact, up to this day we keep improving the upgrade system.

We strongly recommend that you keep an eye on Feng 2 release notes to look for improvements on the upgrade system. The perfect time to upgrade may vary for each one.

If you are using Feng Office for business operations and need to upgrade soon, please contact us through our contact form. Again, we do offer a service to upgrade to Feng 2 without the need to also move to the Professional Edition or our Feng Sky service. You can keep using the Community Edition on your own servers. Expect to pay between $400-$900 for the upgrade, depending on the time that the developers have to dedicate in figuring out the details of what is preventing a successful upgrade. We do, of course, include any learnings from each upgrade into the future releases. So this is also a great way to contribute on the development side.

Something like 92% of our client-base is already migrated (I don't have the exact figure with me). After we are 100% migrated, we will discontinue any improvement work on Feng 1.X series.

Growing the collaboration with and by the community
Believe me: I want this to happen more than anybody. We needed both the platform and the company to be ready. Both things took longer than we wished for. But I feel we are ready.

We have plans to build a market-place for developers to offer their plug-ins.

And yes, of course we need a more extended and better documented API.

And yes, we need to spend more time hanging on the forum and talking with you here (More on that below).

On why some things don't happen faster
We experienced great growth in 2009 and 2010. That encouraged -and allowed us- to embark on the great project of 2011: Feng Office 2.

So we hired many developers to work on the development of the system (we always re-invest profits).

With the recruiting, we didn't do a very good job. Yes, that was bad management. And it was my responsibility.

In summary, this slowed us down, and consumed many of our financial resources. It hurt in many ways. But we pulled it off. And we now have the best product that we have ever released.

Luckily, and in spite of all this, the number of users keeps growing every day.

On replying to inquiries by Free Community Edition users
We are really sorry we are not able to keep up to date with e-mail and forum communications.

We love and miss the activity on the forum!

And we would love to see more activity at the Wiki (@Potion, I did notice your contributions... thanks! That is exactly what we need!)

But we have always been very straightforward about this: we prioritize client requests. People subscribed to our support services (be it Feng Sky or Feng Onsite) get all our attention. Until we resolve their issues, we don't log into the forum.

So the upgrades, the bugs, and the missing features from the early 2.X releases... they had us with our hands full. Luckily that is now almost all behind. So we are finally back into improvement projects!
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 05:02:12 am »
Also, we just started the beta-testing process for the mobile-access module:
http://www.fengoffice.com/web/blogen/?p=1036

:)
Get Official Support for your Feng Office. Support the development team. Sign up for a Free Trial here.

conrado

• Administrator
  • Conrado
    • View Profile
    • Feng Office
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 05:07:37 am »
I hope I replied most of the questions.

If I missed anything, please let me know.

I won't be able to follow up much in the following hours, as I have to catch a very long flight soon (Going from San Francisco to Montevideo is not very straight-forward), but I'll be sure to check back soon.

And please keep coming all the positive and constructive criticism. the good vibe of our community and forum is one of the things that makes us the most proud.

Best,
--
Conrado

potion

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • WorkgroupBase
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 07:59:17 am »
Thanks for providing us with some insight Conrado.

I now understand that the move to V2.x was huge.

I was dead serious about asking what we can do to help.  The wiki, for example, is seriously out of date, and so I  have decided to update it whenever I can...

...starting with the section on writing a plugin (I hope you approve), and challenge other Feng Office Community users who use this great product for free to help create a vibrant community by contributing in kind by helping newbies on the forum, contributing a plugin and writing (or translating) a wiki article.

Best
--
Denis
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:44:19 am by potion »

fengy

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 06:49:14 am »
thanks for the answers @Conrado
Having your input on the forum is greatly appreaciated and it feels great to see the Feng team replying on the forum.

I would be happy to contribute my improvements on Feng in the form of a plug-in, but I really believe that in order for that plug-in system to work, things should be made as simple as possible.
There should be a GUI for installing/updating/removing plug-ins from Feng. The same way Wordpress does it.
If you need to use the console to install plug-ins(as it is in the moment), it just won't work.

Regards

cjs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 08:15:37 am »
@Conrado,

Thanks for the reply. Feng office is a great product - something I have been looking for a long time for project management and fits perfect. Keep up the good work.

Since some of the bugs / issues mentioned above are basic usability issues and hampering people from effectively using Feng office, I would appreciate if a resolution is uploaded asap so that we can use it.

Thanks and Best Wishes.

CJ

fengy

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 01:15:39 pm »
Conrado is like a mirage: you just felt good to see him on the forum and he's gone again  ;D